Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 06:40 AM

Default Str8 vs. possible flush - raise or no?

This table has been ridiculously loose and passive. If a raise has been made pre-flop, I did it. So I've started limping in with all kinds of suited connectors and junk. Read on every player at the table minus one guy (who's not in this hand) is passive or calling station. That said, I really hate my play all over the place here.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Here is my first mistake. Why am I not raising? It's for value even! At the time I'm pretty sure I was afraid of a flush draw (what a wuss) and wanted to see if I made my hand w/out a flush coming in - in Hindsight that makes no sense, I know.

Turn: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG folds, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls.

Ok the original bettor checks , which means I'm thinking second pair who's scared with all these callers, or a flush draw.

River: (10 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero .......

Darn hearts. Well that original bettor woke up now - I'm thinking he made his flush. It was at this point I took a look at BB's note, which said "calling station", so I'm not worried about him at all. Do I raise here? I know BB will call with anything, and I might even be able to count on the relative pasivity of MP2 to not get me 3-bet if he holds the non-nut flush (or heck maybe even a boat who knows with these guys sometimes). The real problem is that I hadn't seen much betting at all from these people, so when they started up, I took notice and respected it. Can I really think my hand is good against these types?

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 08-24-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Str8 vs. possible flush - raise or no?

I don't think you have much choice but to raise the river. He may just have hit trip queens. If he's THAT big a calling station, then if he 3-bets you there, you KNOW he has you beat and can lay down (though, boy, I doubt I do that, I'd probably pay him off anyway, but a fold to the 3-bet is much, much better than just folding to the first raise), whereas if he just calls your raise, most of the time you're good and have just made an extra bet.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:52 AM

Like you said you probably want to raise the flop for value, you can perhaps buy the button here and check through the turn for a free card if it isnt too scary. Raise the river, he probably has trip queens, if he 3-bets just call it, cant really fold this river.

-Sent
Old 08-24-2004, 11:17 AM

I'd go for the overcall from the BB.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd go for the overcall from the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even think of that.

Yeah, I think I like that line better, too.

Thanks, nottom.