Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 01:58 AM

Default out of line?

so it's a good 100-200 game at commerce and there's this really fishy guy playing two to my right. so there's this hand where im watching him and he's utg+1 and he is about to limp and then he decides to raise. he's a non-actor in the tells dept, strictly retarded as clarkmeister would say. and no one else seems to be paying attention plus what he did was pretty subtle, but my read is pretty certain. so at that very moment i decide if it's folded to me (im on the button) i will 3 bet no matter what i have and put the pressure on all the way.

and that's exactly what happened and that's exactly what i did.

anyone else ever do that?
Old 08-24-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Re: out of line?

"anyone else ever do that? "

Yes
Old 08-24-2004, 02:12 AM

I say nice hand. Whether it is plus EV or not depends a lot of on your image and the original raisers tendencies...but overall you are pretty much obligated to do what you did, we do play this game for fun right? Or was it money? I am pretty sure it is one of those 2
Old 08-24-2004, 02:15 AM

"we do play this game for fun right? Or was it money? I am pretty sure it is one of those 2"

i do it out of a sick habitual uncontrollable compulsion to gamble and im pretty certain so do most of my opponents.

thank god im winning or id be fuucked.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so there's this hand where im watching him and he's utg+1 and he is about to limp and then he decides to raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mike,

It makes sense obviously to isolate him as you have a clear read on him as weak. However, if he almost limps but then raises doesn't that imply that he has a hand that is at least strong enough to play? What kind of a hand do you hold here or are you playing offsuit trash with the plan to bet/raise at every opportunity? It is just that wouldn't most fish in a big game be more likely to play weak tight, especially up front?
Old 08-24-2004, 03:54 AM

"It is just that wouldn't most fish in a big game be more likely to play weak tight, especially up front?"

no. see that doesnt even make sense. fish arent concerned w/ position. they are interested in seeing a lot of flops and a lot of rivers and getting lucky and winning a lot of pots. they arent worried about being dominated or being out of position. they are comfortable playing out of position in fact because their favorite play is check-call. they wouldnt know how to play tight even if you told them they had to. they dont understand the meaning of tight, let alone weak tight.

this guy was playing 80% of his hands. he was on tilt completely. he had just lost a lot playing 40 and was now losing the rest of what he had playing 100. he was limping some but raising as well. if he had a truly good hand (and that's a pretty wide margin of hands for a player like him, because as i said he doesnt understand the meaning of tight) then he wouldve raised automatically and not rethought and said oh screw this im just going to push and raise with this pile of turd hand.

yes i had 97o as it turned out. but that doesnt matter. i was committed as i said before, to reraising absolutely any hand i had to try and get the blinds out and play heads up against this guy.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:31 AM

you made a read, you acted on it, next post
Old 08-24-2004, 04:33 AM

Question here if acting on that read with 97off but with position is EV+...
Old 08-24-2004, 04:45 AM

the cards are irrelevant in this type of situation. The only reason you even look is in case your opponent catches you playing blind.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:50 AM

True that but...opponent who check-call-check-call-check-call likes to see a showdown...