Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Does anyone like this hand?

I should note that I had a pretty thight image at the table, I had done a couple of check/raises with very strong hands and gotten a lot of respect after that.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 08-23-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Does anyone like this hand?

I would call the flop bet, but I'd check-fold the turn unimproved.. 6 outs at best, even $$, I'd not put more $$ in there. He called your flop raise, a check on the turn could look like a checkraise attempt, see if he's willing to bet into you. Either you get a free card or you can fold knowing you were likely beat.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call the flop bet, but I'd check-fold the turn unimproved.. 6 outs at best, even $$, I'd not put more $$ in there. He called your flop raise, a check on the turn could look like a checkraise attempt, see if he's willing to bet into you. Either you get a free card or you can fold knowing you were likely beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

The CO's bet can mean anything, if I just call I'm pretty sure more people will come along for the ride. Even if I am ahead at this point (which I might very well be) chances are some of them will pick up something.

The fact that CO calls the check/raise doesnt really mean anything. Any hand worth betting there is worth calling a raise with.

I really dont want to just call, and I'd hate to fold a hand that might actually be ahead at this point (though not by much) and has outs if it isnt.

On the turn I guess one could argue for checking but that makes it much more likely that I will be called on the river if I dont find something, so I just go ahead and show him that I mean business.

On the river I bet because I want the bottom pair and other weak hands to fold, and I dont want to check it through for the whole world to see my hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

k
Old 08-23-2004, 03:43 PM

The more I think about it the more useless this post seems. The decision to raise and bet was very table and image dependant which ofcourse makes for an impossible discussion.

k
Old 08-23-2004, 04:04 PM

Yep, I hear ya.. Keep the pressure on.. I'm not saying a check-fold is the right thing to do, I know I'm a little on the weak side.. (Working on it tho) My initial thought was since he called your flop raise he probably has at least a pair. He looks like he's calling you down.

Your flop raise might have helped him by making everyone else fold who mighta held overcards or other suckout potential. Or it mighta screwed him if he was trying to build up for a flush draw.

So how'd the hand end?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:05 PM

If this were a normal table that you just sat down at and had no reads on any players, how would you guys play this?

I ask because I'm not sure. I would fold this preflop in fear of being dominated and would probably fold the flop as well. With 6 players it seems unlikely that you are ahead and you're drawing to 6 venerable outs while theres a flush draw on the board.

I understand how certain circumstances make playing this how you did correct, but as a separate question would folding this preflop or on the flop be too weak given more normal circumstances?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:19 PM

1. If you think you are ahead then raise preflop, dont call. I'd limp cos A9o is a poor hand.

2. You have nothing but 2 overcards. 6 outs I'd fold or call after the bet.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So how'd the hand end?

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand ends with CO thinking for 19 seconds and then folding. I was betting the entire way in part because the board was fairly coordinated and I might easily have had a great hand, at the same time as he might easily be on a draw.

On the river when he thinks for so long and folds I'm pretty sure he had a low pair and just mucked it when he didnt fill up (on either spades or a straight). My table image was crucial at this point I'm sure.

k
Old 08-24-2004, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If this were a normal table that you just sat down at and had no reads on any players, how would you guys play this?

[/ QUOTE ]

A9o isnt exactly premium. I only play it when I have reasonable controll over how my opponents play their aces. IE you have two people who are loose/passive that plays any ace allready in the pot, and then a thinking player who you know would raise ATs or better behind these limps in. This is the kind of situation where A9o works.

If I just sat down I'd muck it unless

1) Its folded to me. Then I raise in the SB
2) One player is allready in the pot, he comes from a late position and is weak enough to just limp. That is also an auto-raise for me.

k
Old 08-24-2004, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. If you think you are ahead then raise preflop, dont call. I'd limp cos A9o is a poor hand.
2. You have nothing but 2 overcards. 6 outs I'd fold or call after the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I have no idea if I'm ahead preflop. Raising A9o in the worst position with 7 people in the pot is just throwing money away.

2. A bet from the CO can mean anything. Everyone else checked. I have a perfect shot at narrowing the field here and although my pot-odds get cut in half by raising, the chance of me winning the pot quadruples.

Folding two overs and a hand that might be ahead is just too weak. Calling doesnt seem right either.

k