Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 10:16 PM

Default Late stages with a shortstack

I was playing the party 30 NL, 13 people left. I have 24k in chips, and the blinds are 3000/1500. So I have 8 BB left. The table is sorta short-handed, 7 people. I was actually 4th or 5th in chips at the table. So I thought I would need more chips at the final table to make my goal which is top 3.

I tried to steal the blinds, I raised 8200 with JhTh in MP, the cards didn't matter, I just wanted the 4500. Too bad for me, another shortstack re-raised me all in with his 11000 stack. I had to call 2800 more just on pot odds. He had AK, nothing flops, and I am down to 13000. Was this a good attempt or just a stupid play or an all-in play?

Next hand I pick up 99, and go all in. I get called by AA, and I am out in 12th. This play is pretty standard, I think.

So should I have been more patient? Should I just forget about stealing with a short stack? Everytime I won a tourney, I was one the big stacks at the final table. So I thought I have to try to get some chips. So is this EV+, or should I just do anything to "survive".

Thanks for reading
Old 08-23-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Late stages with a shortstack

I think your play is reasonable, although at less then 10x the BB I generally move-in or fold. If your stuck calling, you might as well maximize the chance of a fold. It probably would not have made a difference here.

Paul