Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Playing Overcards

What is the best way to play overcards in NL Hold 'em tournament situations? Sometimes I feel I am giving these hands away too easily.

Here are two examples.

In a live game, I hold A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I limp in (I should have raised), and my opponent checks the big blind.

Flop comes 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check. Opponent bets. I call.

Turn card is a blank. I check. Opponent bets. I raise three times his bet as a bluff. Opponent calls.

River is a blank. I check. Opponent bets. I fold.

I played this one a little too passively, I know. After my opponent called my raise, I put him on a 9 or a 10. He later told me he had nothing. My ace was good.

Second situation:

I hold A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I raise preflop. Opponent calls.

Flop comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check. Opponent bets. I fold.

Since he called the preflop raise, I put him on wired pair.

Am I folding these hands too easily? How far do you go with overcards when you miss the flop?
Old 08-23-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Playing Overcards

In tournament situations, stack sizes and blind levels are crucial to analysis.

Also, pot sizes, bet sizes, and player/table reads will give a better indication as to whether you're playing to passive/weak/etc.

-d
Old 08-23-2004, 05:25 PM

I agree, but can't remember all of the information regarding blinds, chipcounts, and bet sizes.

Want to give any general guidelines?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:46 PM

Some General guidelines:

Overcards prefer small fields and passive opponents.

Stack sizes and blind levels are essential to evaluating how to play any certain hand.

Sheep make horrible love partners.

Republicans are generally unattractive

Only those who are truly intelligent understand the joy of fingerpainting

Better to have loved and lost than to have your genitalia ripped off by a speeding truck.

Tournament hand questions should be posted in the MultiTable Tournament Forum.

Following my advice is questionable at best.

peace

john nickle
Old 08-24-2004, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a live game, I hold A J. I limp in (I should have raised), and my opponent checks the big blind.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a Nl tourt (a large sized tourt) You really never want to showdown a hand, so a raise preflop could win it for you right there (of course raiseing with AJ is only smart if you have position)

[ QUOTE ]
I check. Opponent bets. I call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why did you just call after the flop?
You clearly think you have a supeior hand come over the top right there and end this mess your getting yourself into. You always need a good hand to call Ace high usually doesn't work, but if you come over the top you could win right there! raiseing is your only choice.
[ QUOTE ]
Turn card is a blank. I check. Opponent bets. I raise three times his bet as a bluff. Opponent calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well maybe if you did this a betting round sooner you would have already won this hand. Your opponents call is a clear sign of weakness (I think, next time try to give more details about the hand) I would have bet out big on the river. IF he had a 9 or a 10 he would have pushed to protect his hand on the turn.
Then again this all could be wrong and he could have simple been a maniac and you should have folded after the flop and waited for a better situation. (i stress more details next time)

[ QUOTE ]
I hold A K. I raise preflop. Opponent calls.

Flop comes 2 3 3

I check. Opponent bets. I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ak is a pretty strong hand, how much did you raise preflop? how muchare the stack sizes? (details again) Never the less I probably would have bet out after the flop of rags like that with AK.