Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Questionable hand

I think you played this hand pretty well. I think you've gotta figure you're probably beat, but considering the size of the pot and the fact that the button just cold called the flop and turn, the call on the end is good. I'm interested to see how it turned out.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:19 AM

Hi kgrad,

This is one of those Flops that looks like it's o.k. for your hand but it's really not. Hitting your Queen for two pair will give anyone with a Jack a straight. The presence of 2 Clubs on board make your outs even more tainted, as well as leaves you subject to redraws. About the only cards you are happy about on the Turn are another 9 and a Spade. Basically, meaning you have a 2 outer plus a backdoor Flush draw.

Check the Flop and take advantage of the fact that the table is so passive that you may be able to see a free Turn card with your weak draw. That's why you can play moderately weak hands from early position at a passive table. Besides the fact that it'll often only cost you 1 bet pre-Flop, you'll also often get to cheaply (or freely) see the Turn card.

The Turn bet is fine, but check-fold the River.

-Brian
Old 08-23-2004, 01:23 AM

Hi JD,

[ QUOTE ]
If I decided to play this in this situation I think I would raise with it. I don't like the limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of those rare situations where you are playing way too tight/aggressive. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] You're playing too tight because folding this hand pre-Flop at the table described is incorrect. Q9s loves passive opponents. You get to see a cheap Flop, and often get to continue on with weak draws because players don'r protect their hands appropriately. And you're playing too aggressive because you see this as a raise/fold situation, which it's not. Limping is perfectly acceptable, and is actually much prefered to raising or folding in this spot.

At a tighter or more aggressive game, I would agree with your approach, and would heavily lean towards folding. But at this game, limping is just great.

-Brian
Old 08-23-2004, 12:56 PM

Default results

Results:
Hero shows Qs 9s (two pair, kings and nines).
Button shows As Kd (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Button wins 11 BB.

like i said i should have folded the river although seeing the button play his AK this week was worth the extra BB. the flop bet was questionable but i think i like it even if the Q's are dirty i still had a whole whack of ways my hand could improve includeing any spade any jack and the 2 other 9s..
Old 08-23-2004, 01:15 PM

fold the river- you will always lose this pot