Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2004, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Poker Superstars Invitational

I can't even count the times the players have been called the "grandmasters of poker."
Old 08-23-2004, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Poker Superstars Invitational-money question

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that these players are putting up their own money (exclusively) for this event. For one thing, none of these players are fools. And to put up your own cash against this lineup is foolish. No one has an edge.

Second, I doubt T.J. could put up $40K of his own money let alone $400K! He's always broke from what I hear.

Finally, whatever network is putting this together would have to offer a nice chunk to the players to play. Even guys like Moneymaker are getting 6 figures to play in certain events.

What are some thoughts on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost positive each player put up $400,000 of their own money, although who knows if they are also getting paid by the network, thereby offsetting their own investment.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is crap every hand so far has been an all in and it is already half way through the show. It better change now that they are fairly even in chips

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you got your wish once it got down to three handed. The bluffs by Ivey and Lederer were some of the best poker I've ever seen on TV. Chan made two great moves and would have won both pots from 99.9% of the players in the world but was 0 for 2 against those guys.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that these players are putting up their own money (exclusively) for this event. For one thing, none of these players are fools. And to put up your own cash against this lineup is foolish. No one has an edge.

Second, I doubt T.J. could put up $40K of his own money let alone $400K! He's always broke from what I hear.

Finally, whatever network is putting this together would have to offer a nice chunk to the players to play. Even guys like Moneymaker are getting 6 figures to play in certain events.

What are some thoughts on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost positive each player put up $400,000 of their own money, although who knows if they are also getting paid by the network, thereby offsetting their own investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I remember reading that each of the 8 players got paid $25k by whoever was putting the tournament on.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:34 AM

TJ never puts up his own money. He's had some entity backing his tournament play for years, you could probably find out who stakes him somewhere on the internet. What led you to believe he's broke?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is crap every hand so far has been an all in and it is already half way through the show. It better change now that they are fairly even in chips

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you got your wish once it got down to three handed. The bluffs by Ivey and Lederer were some of the best poker I've ever seen on TV. Chan made two great moves and would have won both pots from 99.9% of the players in the world but was 0 for 2 against those guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. They called moneymaker's bluff "The Bluff of the Century," That was just a bad(lucky)play. Chan's bluffs were better and for Ivey and Lederer to fire back... WOW. Extremely Humbling. Me and my buddies were floored. It was as if Ivey and Lederer were watching with us and saw Chans cards.
Did anybody hear anything about the rumor of Howard busting out?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:30 AM

Howard going broke from cash games? Those types of rumors float daily on RGP. Howards broke, Gus is broke, etc. I really doubt those guys are even close to busting out, or even having stakes high enough to have it be possible.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:49 AM

Default DOES anyone know about the \"rewards\" of this thing?

From what little I've been able to stumble across in Card Player and other sources, it does seem that it costs $100K to buy into each match (4 matches = $400K from each of the 8) and the eventual winner will get $1 million.

The Card Player article from July hinted that all of the players might get paid (or maybe they're referring to the $25K fee each of them got for participating- meaning "seriously in the hole" means down $375K at worst)

I didn't miss this last night, did I? I only saw a few minutes of the show, including the ending of match #1.

Does anyone have details on:

a) What chip stack bonuses the winners of each match get, for the finale? Any other places get bonuses?

b) How about stack bonuses for winners of each finale, for the final championship match?

c) How and when is the cash divided up? They didn't say anything about whether the winner last night got any cash.

Anyone? Or is Fox Sports making this up as they go?
Old 08-23-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: DOES anyone know about the \"rewards\" of this thing?

my guess is that the players get additional starting chips for the finale proportionate to their finish in the preliminary rounds. so after this first round, lederer has the most additional starting chips, then ivey, chan, etc.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Which part of the word \"KNOW\" did you miss?

[ QUOTE ]
my guess is that the players get additional starting chips for the finale proportionate to their finish in the preliminary rounds. so after this first round, lederer has the most additional starting chips, then ivey, chan, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't ASK for "guess"- we've done that already. I'm looking for some KNOWledge on what is actually planned! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Sorry to lay into you, early on in your 2+2 career- I appreciate your intent, but think about what you're reading and replying to a little more carefully, please?