Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 11:20 AM

Default unusual (and maybe bad) line i took against TheGiftOfGab

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (8 handed)

CO ($1227.10)
Button ($281.25)
SB ($2371.10)
BB ($905)
UTG ($1204)
UTG+1 <font color="purple">(TheGiftOfGab)</font> ($2877.50)
MP1 ($1101.25)
AJo ($1233.25)

Preflop: AJo is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. AJo posts a blind of $15.
UTG calls $10, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(TheGiftOfGab)</font> calls $10, MP1 calls $10, <font color="CC3333">AJo (poster) raises to $55</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $45, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(TheGiftOfGab)</font> calls $45, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($200) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, TheGiftOfGab checks, AJo checks.

Turn: ($200) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">TheGiftOfGab bets $150</font>, <font color="CC3333">AJo raises to $300</font>, UTG folds, TheGiftOfGab folds.

Final Pot: $650
Old 08-21-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Re: unusual (and maybe bad) line i took against TheGiftOfGab

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (8 handed)

CO ($1227.10)
Button ($281.25)
SB ($2371.10)
BB ($905)
UTG ($1204)
UTG+1 <font color="purple">(TheGiftOfGab)</font> ($2877.50)
MP1 ($1101.25)
AJo ($1233.25)

Preflop: AJo is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. AJo posts a blind of $15.
UTG calls $10, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(TheGiftOfGab)</font> calls $10, MP1 calls $10, <font color="CC3333">AJo (poster) raises to $55</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $45, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(TheGiftOfGab)</font> calls $45, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($200) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, TheGiftOfGab checks, AJo checks.

Turn: ($200) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">TheGiftOfGab bets $150</font>, <font color="CC3333">AJo raises to $300</font>, UTG folds, TheGiftOfGab folds.

Final Pot: $650

[/ QUOTE ]
very weird unusal hand, im guessing JJ or TT?
Old 08-21-2004, 01:22 PM

Could you explain why exactly you didn't bet the flop?
Old 08-21-2004, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
another good point. i would never check here.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

another good point. i would never check here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you try and play a big pot with a hand like this (esp. against a good player), you will find yourself broke and frustrated.

If he is ahead, he is way ahead, if he's behind, he's way behind. Its the kind of hand where if you get a good amount of action, you're beat. Which is why most good players dont raise with this hand. But I am sure AJo had some sort of reason for raising that is not soley based on hand strength.

fsuplayer
Old 08-21-2004, 01:52 PM

given preflop and flop action, i tend to flat call that turn and let GoG bluff the river. i just hate getting blown off my hand right there vs a smart, agg player.

im assuming that turn raise was a value raise vs a high spade mediocre pair?

fwiw, i dont mind the flop check at all. i want to increase my chances of seeing a showdown

lets not turn this thread into a preflop debate [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2004, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you try and play a big pot with a hand like this (esp. against a good player), you will find yourself broke and frustrated.

If he is ahead, he is way ahead, if he's behind, he's way behind. Its the kind of hand where if you get a good amount of action, you're beat. Which is why most good players dont raise with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the point is to keep the pot small, and fire on the turn so that top pair doesn't come to cost too much? I can see how that works because your position sucks with a mere top pair.
However, with a flush draw out there, there is something to be said for taking it down on the flop. Obviously AJo didn't believe GoG for a flush or boat, but his small raise seemed scared. GoG must've also had good reason not to fire back when AJo showed some weakness (I can think of some, of course).
Old 08-21-2004, 04:55 PM

yeah, I don't know....I definitely understand checking a TPTK hand when out of position heads-up, or something like that, in order to keep the pot small.....but I think if he's gonna raise in position pre-flop and then get two callers, maybe he should bet that flop.....he still has a ton of options depending on what they do because he has position....I just think after he's represented strength that there's no reason to give two other callers free cards en route to showdown.....again, maybe out of position or even in position when heads-up, okay, check the flop one time.....but in this particular spot, I'm not so sure....
Old 08-21-2004, 05:57 PM

I don't see the point in raising the turn, given the amount of info you have.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-21-2004, 06:09 PM

I think I would call the turn taking this line.