Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 02:02 AM

Default foxwoods 5/5 hand #1

ok, i have roughly a $500 stack. most people at the table have me covered. the game is pretty passive preflop, with a little bit of raising but not much reraising big. there's also a lot of calling done postflop.

i pick up 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in ep and open limp for $5. guy to my immediate left makes it $30 to go. 6 people call $30 including the sb and bb, and i call an extra $25, closing the action.

flop comes out 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

the pot is $240. sb, a pretty solid player leads out for $100. bb, a very bad player who calls too much with very weak holdings calls the $100.

i'm up next.. what's your move? call, push??
Old 08-21-2004, 02:29 AM

Default Re: foxwoods 5/5 hand #1

well, the SB would almost certainly not lead with the flopped straight. So you're hand is good almost 100% of the time here.

My play here would depend on what the PFR does after i smooth call

a) just call, and push on the turn as long as a 7, 8, or 3 dont fall.
b) just call, and push after the PFR raises. If he has an overpair he will almost certainly raise this flop.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:41 AM

Still three behind you to act, right. Call. See what action falls behind. Depending on what happens behind you then make the determination on how much to stick in or your best play.

You may need the board to pair to win if all six stay in or a raise comes behind.

Stick the rest of your stack in on the turn if the flop betting is only calls and/or folds.

-Zeno
Old 08-21-2004, 02:52 AM

I'd usually just stick it in the middle right then. Sometimes I'll make a pot-committing raise to about $300 if I think the first two guys might call $200 more but fold for $400 more.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:16 AM

for what it's worth, I know a lot of people (myself included) who would bet right out with a flopped straight.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:05 AM

daryn,

with $500 facing a $180 pot before the flop betting, i am definitely committed. so the question is call (slowplay) or go all in. there are sixteen cards in the deck that allow someone to make a one-card straight. your opponents are loose enough to have those cards. slowplaying's too likely to hurt you. or put another way, the pot's gotten too big after you call to not protect it. it's a must-push.

matt
Old 08-21-2004, 11:59 AM

Not raising here would be just terrible.

The pot is 180 pf + 200 post flop. $380 in the pot and $480 once you call. Your raise is not even pot sized. Easy push.

Yeah, you could raise over half your stack, but then you are giving very nice odds 200:680 for anyone with a 7 or 3. I want them to call, but I also want to charge them the most to do so.

An added bonus of pushing is that it looks like a draw and you might get called by a made hand like two pair, which you love in that situation.

To snag a line from Turnipmonster:
"pretend its Keira Knightly, just stick it in."

fsuplayer
Old 08-21-2004, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, i have roughly a $500 stack. most people at the table have me covered. the game is pretty passive preflop, with a little bit of raising but not much reraising big. there's also a lot of calling done postflop.

i pick up 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in ep and open limp for $5. guy to my immediate left makes it $30 to go. 6 people call $30 including the sb and bb, and i call an extra $25, closing the action.

flop comes out 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

the pot is $240. sb, a pretty solid player leads out for $100. bb, a very bad player who calls too much with very weak holdings calls the $100.

i'm up next.. what's your move? call, push??

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise to $300, you dont want [censored] hands to fold here, do you?
Old 08-21-2004, 01:17 PM

I'll play devil's advocate. It is not a must-push at that specific point. We need to know more about the players, especially the ones yet to act behind and their stack sizes. Depending on that, I may be willing to call (or raise) and gamble a bit on following action and then take it from there - or as Mr. Zee sometimes says - Then you play poker. You may also pick up an important read by doing this, depending on your knowledge of the opponents of course. Which is why we need more information about the players.

-Zeno
Old 08-21-2004, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for what it's worth, I know a lot of people (myself included) who would bet right out with a flopped straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Turnipmonster,

I hope you will take this in the proper way:

Please Shut-up. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Zeno