Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Short Stacked. Did I have a choice?

[ QUOTE ]
In this case Iīd expect that both, SB and BB will call me 95% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's mistake #1. Even four handed, the SB won't often call this without a playable hand. (You are also assuming that neither the button nor the SB will *reraise* instead of calling, which will often happen with worse than or relatively equal hands to A9o.)

[ QUOTE ]
most probably the pot will be checked down to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's mistake #2. Even with multiple calls, the guy who pairs up will almost always bet the other one out of the pot on the flop. That is both proper bubble strategy and beneficial to you; it leaves you against the better of two hands, but with A9o you will almost always be ahead or have outs.

[ QUOTE ]
On the other side I have the option of being raised by someone when Iīm in the BB and to call him to be heads up. Heads up my chances of winning the hand will increase, no matter what I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is mistake #3. In the BB, your hand will be random, but you will not be up against a random hand; you will be against the best of the other three players' hands, because he'll raise and the others will probably fold. If you are lucky, it will be folded to SB, who will have a choice between folding a truly sucktacular hand (leaving you exactly where you started in the SB in the next hand) or forcing you all in when he holds something better than average. If not, your random hand is very likely to be a far bigger dog than you would've been with A9o.

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that the poster had A9 isnīt important to me in this hand. Iīd raise only with the very best hand Iīd get, maybe something like AJs (hands that also play good multiway) and better. Iīd definetly muck the small pairs, BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is *horrible*. I'm serious when I say that this has almost definitely cost you large amounts of money.

[ QUOTE ]
Please donīt mistake this for being weak tight. This is 100% a strategical consideration. If original poster had something like 900 in his stack, he should have raised with any two, but having no folding equity can change everything, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding equity is a concern with a hand like 98s; it does not play too well if called and is probably a dog to BB's random hand if it is folded to BB. A9o is *way* too powerful a hand 4 way when you are that shortstacked to worry about folding equity- as is K8o, Q9s and probably even A2o.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:01 AM

Yes, I'd push here. The question I'd ask myself (I tend to play weak-tight) is whether you should've pushed with something else sooner.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this case Iīd expect that both, SB and BB will call me 95% of the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's mistake #1. Even four handed, the SB won't often call this without a playable hand. (You are also assuming that neither the button nor the SB will *reraise* instead of calling, which will often happen with worse than or relatively equal hands to A9o.)

[/ QUOTE ]

At least at the limits I play the SB will call most of the time if calling wonīt cripple him. And any hand that raises me will highly domitates my hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

most probably the pot will be checked down to the river.

That's mistake #2. Even with multiple calls, the guy who pairs up will almost always bet the other one out of the pot on the flop. That is both proper bubble strategy and beneficial to you; it leaves you against the better of two hands, but with A9o you will almost always be ahead or have outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite true, since a) itīs very rare that a player bets in this szenario, and b) in a SnG with blinds that high itīs a bit of a crapshot, and therefore a bet on the flop from something like toppair doesnīt have to be proper strategy. This definetly is different when down to 5 players. Betting top pair 5handend is a must.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

On the other side I have the option of being raised by someone when Iīm in the BB and to call him to be heads up. Heads up my chances of winning the hand will increase, no matter what I have.

This is mistake #3. In the BB, your hand will be random, but you will not be up against a random hand; you will be against the best of the other three players' hands, because he'll raise and the others will probably fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Donīt forget, that with 4 players you will have the best hand preflop 25% of the time. So itīs likely that someone raises you with a hand worse than you anyway. Playing with A9o against a BB with 72o and a SB with JTs will eliminate you 2/3 of the time.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> Quote:

Please donīt mistake this for being weak tight. This is 100% a strategical consideration. If original poster had something like 900 in his stack, he should have raised with any two, but having no folding equity can change everything, IMHO.

Folding equity is a concern with a hand like 98s; it does not play too well if called and is probably a dog to BB's random hand if it is folded to BB. A9o is *way* too powerful a hand 4 way when you are that shortstacked to worry about folding equity- as is K8o, Q9s and probably even A2o. </pre><hr />

Folding equity is important everytime you are on some sort of semibluff. And while A9 might be a close one either way, A2 is clearly a -EV play in this scenario.

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 08-21-2004, 08:33 AM

of course you made the right play, what else are you going to wait for?

Pat