Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Heads-up with a large chip lead.

Three table sit n go at PP down to two players. I have 22k chips to opponents 8k. Blinds are 300/600. How tight or how aggressive do you play? My opponents is playing tight aggressive.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2004, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Heads-up with a large chip lead.

Probably going to be too generic of an answer:

Since he's TA,
1) Exploit the tightness by lowering your raising standards.
2) Once you've cut his stack down significantly, start putting him all-in preflop regardless.
3) If he plays back at you, slow down but don't give up.
4) Don't make your raises too big at first since losing a big pot will put him too close to you as far as stack size goes. Whittle away at him.

Obviously if you think he's catching on, adjust accordingly. Become a little more TA yourself. IMO, playing a little LAGish is appropriate heads-up when your stack is considerably bigger.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:59 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I ended up finishing second, as I was probably a little too loose with my starting hands and the cards were not falling in my direction. He caught up, I played a bad hand and the next thing you know, he had 20k to my 10k. Anyway thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:11 PM

About 1/10 of his stack is in the middle when the hand starts. I just push and hope for the best. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

-Michael
Old 08-20-2004, 10:53 PM

I was having the same problem for a bit. A couple things helped me win 3 out of the 4 three table tournys I just played on PP.

The first was changing gears when it got down to 5 players. I wanted to throw off whoever might be the last player BEFORE it came down to heads up.

The second was a article I read regarding short handed & heads up play. I happened to read it before I played the lasat two tournys. The information I got really is what helped me win. I was MUCH more aggresive than I usually am. You could really feel the momentum switch. This player finally got tired of me raising almost every hand, and if I didn't raise I folded. So he started playing hands, or should I say calling hands, that he really shouldn't have played and that was his mistake.

The site is http://www.simplyholdem.com/articles.html and the article is the "Shorthanded Games". I hope this helps.

Good luck on all your future tournys. Let me know what you thought of the article

Paizzon
Old 08-20-2004, 11:01 PM

were do you find 3 table multis at pp?
Old 08-20-2004, 11:16 PM

Go under Sit & Go and Multi-Table.

Paizzon
Old 08-20-2004, 11:20 PM

I love this situation. All you need to do is attack and never let up. depending on your starting hand you may take it a bit slower but if you have a decent hand make him put his tourney on the line. Yeah he may have Aces but thats 255 to 1, worth the risk when you can grind him to nothing.
It is important to note the difference between aggressive and foolish however. Agreessive is going in with a 10-J suited, foolish is not looking before you move in.

Cody
Old 08-21-2004, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Three table sit n go at PP down to two players. I have 22k chips to opponents 8k. Blinds are 300/600. How tight or how aggressive do you play? My opponents is playing tight aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]
In theory, the important quantity to watch is the ratio of the smaller stack to the big blind. It almost doesn't matter whether you are the one with the short stack or the large stack.

Using the stack depth at the end of a tournament is very similar to using stack depth in a HU ring game. There is some discussion of this in Reuben and Ciaffone's Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker, though they focus on deeper stacks.

When one player has a big lead, the small stack is only a few times the big blind, but if the small stack doubles up the depth can double for the next hand. The depth also tends to decrease suddenly when the blinds go up. If you don't change your strategy when the depth changes, you are playing incorrectly at one or both depths.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:26 PM

If he is playing tight when heads-up, I probably raise on every hand.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]