Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Did I overplay AA?

In this situation you need to figure out what hands could beat you.
I mention 54 as that is one such hand, and the person could play it exactly that way. With a huge stack they can easily limp UTG with it, and then call your raise as you have a huge stack.
It is a lot better than 1/1000 that that is exactly the hand you are up against.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:51 AM

I would have made the same preflop raise. A larger raise is more standard with a limper already there, but you really want him to call you with AA.

The board looks very good for AA, particularly with one opponent in a raised pot. About the only thing likely to beat you is a set.

I would check the river. If I were your opponent, I would have bet the river. Your opponent could also have played it as Brunson recommends and bet into the raiser on the flop.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:54 AM

Sorry, tired when i posted a response. I thought the other stack called your raise in bb. If there is a limper make it 1200 to go. The rule as always, i'm an idiot.

You won't get aces often. You need to generate chips with 'em.

that is all
R-
Old 08-20-2004, 10:57 AM

Thanks for all of your opinions everyone. It seems like I am gonna lose quite a bit in this hand everytime, but if I had played it in a more controlled manner I could atleast have retained half my stack and probably still make it ITM.

Thanks again all.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:11 PM

I'm not sure WHAT you're supposed to do against people playing 22s against an early call and subsequent raise PF. It's going to happen that you lose your money at times to people playing THAT loose. From HIS perspective, however, he can afford to look at lots of flops because he's got a lot of dough and your raise still allows him fabulous implied odds should he hit his set (or his quads, for God's sake!). This is why getting tricky with your pocket Aces is dangerous, of course. Hey--you took a shot, right?

My motto: Get 'em & bet 'em!
Old 08-20-2004, 12:22 PM

I would probably stick with the 3x BB preflop raise becuase I don't mind the callers. You want a little action with this hand.

What I don't understand is why you under bet the pot on the flop. If you had bet the pot and gotten called then warning bells might have started to go off.

My other question is did you try to put him on a hand? You mentioned that you didn't think he had 45. What hands call you here? Would his guy play a6 UTG? Seems unlikely. Or if he did, I would think he would of tried to reraise to win the pot there. Same with a middle pair, he would want to win there rather than chancing a scare card hitting on the turn or river.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the only thing that makes sense is a set. He limped UTG which is classic with a small PP. He only called your bet, which is also classic for a small PP.

If you had bet out stronger on the flop and gotten called it would have been an even bigger warning sign to slow down....
Old 08-20-2004, 12:31 PM

I raise more PF, 1500 minimum. I agree your PF raises should typically be of a standard size, but with every rule there are exceptions.

UTG's limp probably means one of two things:

1) A big hand he wants to be able to re-raise with.
2) Something he's looking to see a flop cheap with to improve (suited connector, small pair etc.)

Either way a bigger raise cannot be bad. Especially as he is the one player who can bust you. If you are going to back your stack with this hand post-flop, at least make him pay to draw out on you. You gave the guy a 600 call to win 12k.

If you can avoid getting too attached to it then you can price people in PF, but that's not so easy with AA ;-)

As you played it, betting flop and turn is fine, but you must check on the river.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:37 PM

If you had raised more preflop, he probably would have folded 22, but you were right in wanting action.

You kind of figure he either has a pp or high cards, since he played UTG and called your raise. Since he stayed in there, you got to figure he either has a set or an over pair. To have a set, he would have to be a fairly loose player with 66, 33, or 22. He could have an overpair from 77 to JJ. It is unlikely he had QQ or better the way he played it preflop. Some people would have trouble calling your bet on the turn with a middle pp.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:49 PM

I put him on a hand like pocket 8s, a hand that looked very good on that board but I still had beaten very badly. What threw me off in the hand was that he checked the river. I wanted to get full value out of this hand and I wanted him to pay me off with his weaker overpair. I couldn't imagaine him checking the stone cold nuts to me on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Oh well, I'm learning and my tourney game has really improved!
Old 08-20-2004, 06:41 PM

why aren't you worried about the str?

FWIW, I completely agree on everything else.
The raise needs to be more or else you are giving the other big stack odds to hit their set to bust you.

Part of the problem I think people have is they are used to seeing shallow stacks where a 3x raise (or 4x if a limper) makes sense since you aren't giving implied odds. You don't get to see a lot of play with big stacks with 8-9 way action on tv.
Obviously it is a completely different game.
With that raise, you don't even really want a small pocket pair to call as you are going to win a small pot or lose a big one..as the poster later realized.