Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Protecting AA from CO?

I have read through most of SSH now, and I am having a little trouble applying the concept of waiting until the turn to bet/raise in order to protect my hand. Is this a situation where I should have checked through on the flop and bet/raised the turn? Or should I just be pushing my overpair and backdoor flush draw? Callers are getting pretty decent odds (10.5:1) to call a flop bet with many draws.
Some backround/reads. When the BB called my 3-bet preflop I was a little puzzled, since my read on him had been that he is a pretty "reasonable" player - not playing too many hands and playing pretty aggressively with good holdings. I was generally not trying to tangle with him much since I think he was one of the better players at the table. I figured him for a couple suited broadway cards or maybe a smaller pocket pair.

Comments on whether betting the flop or waiting to bet out on the turn would be appreciated. I am convinced I missed the value bet on the river too. I think I was caught up in trying to figure out if I messed up by betting the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Thanks!

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB <font color="purple">(Reasonable)</font> calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Reasonable checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Reasonable calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Reasonable checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Reasonable calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Reasonable checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.25 BB, between Reasonable, UTG+1 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (9.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Reasonable shows 8d Js (one pair, jacks).
UTG+1 shows 9c 9s (one pair, nines).
Hero shows As Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.25 BB. </font>
Old 08-19-2004, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Protecting AA from CO?

Definently bet the flop, you do not want to give any free cards. The turn looks good, and you gotta bet the river.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:50 PM

I don't think that's really a flop you want to screw around with.

Nobody bet either. I'd go ahead and bet, like you did. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2004, 11:52 PM

Bet the river and change your note to NOT reasonable/fishy.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:54 PM

How about usually reasonable, but tends to overprotect his blinds?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2004, 11:56 PM

The concept of waiting till the turn to protext your hand is more applicaple to raising a bet that people have already called (i.e. not forcing players to coldcall 2 but rahter 1 at a time). In this case it's way more imporatant that you don't give free cards to draws (flush, gutshot, OE, whatever). Think of the FTOP, if you knew your opponent held one of these draws, you would obviously bet the flop, you're way ahead. If you didn't bet the flop, you lose and your opponent gains.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:00 AM

You also missed an easy river value bet I think. If someone hit the straight on the turn they're bet or check-raise. No one but the most passive players would play it like that, especially with the flush draw on the board.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:21 AM

Don't worry about the flop that is fine, but I don't understand what you were afraid of on the river. Do you think you beat them 55% of the time they call? Of course you do.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:18 AM

Holy moses, bet the river!

Ponks
Old 08-20-2004, 02:42 AM

"The concept of waiting till the turn to protext your hand is more applicaple to raising a bet that people have already called (i.e. not forcing players to coldcall 2 but rahter 1 at a time)."

This would be a raise to get more money in the pot, not to protect your hand. You cannot protect your hand when there is a bet and callers in between you. The protection aspect is all about how much money you are forcing players who have not called any bets yet to pay at once and has very little to do with the bettor and those who have already called the bet.

Whether or not to raise on this round or wait until the next round is more applicable the closer to your right the bettor is.

-Michael