Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: How can Men The Master not be your hero after last night?

"Wasn't Men caught with something like $5,000 in tournament chips in his hotel room this year?"

I'm not sure what happenned this year. Maybe you are referring to the Foxwoods story (3,4 years ago?) when they were cooking food in their room and the smoke detectors went off or something. Then a boat load of chips were found in the room.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:35 PM

That may be it. Thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play online for a reason.. I am afraid I'll find myself in jail after an ill-timed suckout.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why there is a sandbag next to my computer. Everyone comments on me keeping it in a weird place.

My neighbours complained about my primal scream therapy.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:46 PM

he acted like a jerk in one of the other tournements also,when he told the other player, i think his name was brown, that he was a better tournement player, much better,after the guy beat him out of a hand he was also half drunk as i recall
Old 08-19-2004, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude endures a mighty suckout, wants to rip his opponent's head off, gives a dirty look and storms off.

I can only DREAM of being that diplomatic after having aces cracked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are an ass. I don't know what else to say. I've endured suckouts like that (admittedly not with 10K on the line, but with $300-$1000, which was probably more relative to my bankroll than 10K was to his). You smile. You shake his hand. You leave. You call your friend and tell them about the HORRIBLE beat you took. And then you give them a dollar.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, in a tourney, there is an additional consequence to losing the pot. Especially early in the tourney. The decision of calling in this spot may put you all in. So if you lose, you are out. As you know you will lose 2 out of 3 times. There will not be a next time and a next time and a next time to make your money back. You are done. The statistical analysis cannot be applied because you have a sample size of 1. So the question is not do I have the pot odds to call a bet that puts me all in in a tourney? It should be are my odds of winning this one hand good enough to risk the entire tournament as I will be all in with a call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is exactly backwards. Early in a tournament you *know* you are going to have to double your stack size several times to make the money. You should be playing *only* for EV. If the call is close, fine, fold, but if you are getting 3:1 or better on a 2:1 shot, your fold is costing you money.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah, well the jerk store called, and they're running out of you!

[/ QUOTE ]

great seinfeld quote t-bone hahaha
Old 08-20-2004, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish they'd say the raise sizes and stack sizes on espn. it's so critical, yet they completely ignore it. they act as if a raise is a raise is a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Men had about 4K before the hand. the other guy had quite a bit more.

Men limp-reraised to 1200 preflop and the guy called with KQs (this is the biggest mistake in the hand I think)
On the flop Men bet about 3K into a 2500 pot, with rags and a flush draw.

Assuming the other guy needs a flush the call is pretty much right, if he belives there is a chance a K or Q will win it for him, the call is easy.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:19 AM

This is flawed logic if you are a good player, but true if you are a poor player.

I forget who used this example, probably Dr. S himself, but, here it goes.

I will offer you 2-1 on a coin flip today. If you can guess it correctly, I will pay you 2-1.
Clearly this is +EV.

But tomorrow, I will offer you 4-1 on a coin flip. This is a much better alternative.

So this seems great for you, play this game with a small enough wager size to never go broke. But there is a catch. You only have $100 to play with, but I have a minimum bet size of $100. So let's weigh out the options.

1) You play today, and win 50% of the time $200 ($300 in the bank), or you go broke 50% of the time.

Assuming you won, the best play is to put all $300 in play again tomorrow. So 25% of the time, you end up with $1500, and 75% of the time, you are broke. The EV of this play is going to be $250.

But if you just wait until the 4-1 day, and bet your $100 there, you will win 50% of the time $400, but lose $100 half the time. The EV here is $300.

So it is clear that sometimes it is desirable to pass on a +EV play if it means you potentially give up the opportunity to take an even bigger +EV play later.

Without the limited bankroll, and every EV decision can be made independent. But since you are limited by a tournament and cannot rebuy if you lose, waiting makes a lot more sense.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude endures a mighty suckout, wants to rip his opponent's head off, gives a dirty look and storms off.

I can only DREAM of being that diplomatic after having aces cracked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you are an ass. I don't know what else to say. I've endured suckouts like that (admittedly not with 10K on the line, but with $300-$1000, which was probably more relative to my bankroll than 10K was to his). You smile. You shake his hand. You leave. You call your friend and tell them about the HORRIBLE beat you took. And then you give them a dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight ... I'm supposed to grin-and-bear it in a tournament that could be a one-shot deal for me (playing in 1 WSOP would be the pinnacle of my poker career), but you can call me an ass because I suggest that I might get upset over such a beat?

Go [censored] yourself from your high horse already.