Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 02:33 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: New players changing the game forever?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think many pros, worthy of the title, would prefer lower profit instead of higher variance .

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not if they're thinking clearly. But people can still react negatively to being drawn out on, even if they know they did everything correctly. One of the hardest lessons to learn is to take bad beats in stride; that's why you see so many "bad beat" and "internet poker is rigged!" posts. It's only human to get upset with someone who stubbornly stays in the pot against all reason when holding 62o, and catches a runner-runner straight to crack your Aces or Kings. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 08-19-2004, 02:38 PM

this sounds right to me, i think when it comes to tourny's you want to win, but consistently cashing is the real measure of skill. If a total amateur can win, you just have to face up to the luck factor and get on with making $$$$.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:11 PM

My take on this is to compare new players beating the poker pros to the american revolutionaries beating the redcoat british in war. The british were appauled at the colonist's tactics of war that didn't follow the old traditional war rules. Colonists hid behind trees while the redcoats marched in straight lines.

Same analogy here, the pros are complaining that the new players don't follow the "rules" of good play. Well, if the new players are knocking off the pros in the tournaments, perhaps the revolutionary way of fighting back is to play "badly". [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]