Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Chasing the overcards

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

I felt my overcards were good combined with a backdoor flush on the flop, was it worth going to river??

-Sent
Old 08-19-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Chasing the overcards

You certainly want to see the turn here, but unimproved, I probably would have folded the turn, unless UTG+1 was a known bluffer. Even so, one has to worry about the button too. I'd be interested in other opinions on what to do here.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:45 PM

The turn call looks slim to me. What read do you have on UTG+1? Since he raised the flop, I'm less likely to think that my overcards are worth full outs, so on the turn, I think you've got 3 outs to the best hand. You're getting 9:1 on your call, but you need 14.3:1. Even if you think they're worth slightly more, I don't think you can say that they're worth 6 outs, as you may be reverse dominated (KJ, QJ). At best I think you're getting 9:1 pot odds on a 10:1 call, and should fold.

Rob
Old 08-19-2004, 01:20 PM

Hi, maybe, I don't like to chaseING without the A. He might have JT oJ KJ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2004, 01:23 PM

Bleah - the turn call is uber-thin.

Next hand please.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2004, 01:41 PM

Hi sent,

I think the flop play was fine, but the turn call was incorrect. If you have a good read on him and can put him on a semi-bluff I would c/r semi-bluff. Otherwise w/o improvement I would just have folded.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, maybe, I don't like to chaseING without the A. He might have JT oJ KJ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, you want to be less inclined to chase overcards with an Ace because many players will play Ace-anything, thus making your ace outs dirty. I probably would have called the turn here, but that's one part of my game that I need to work on, I'm probably making a lot of thin calls that just aren't worth it in the long run.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:39 PM

Hi-
I have absolutely no idea what to do on the turn.
I think I would fold. I think the main reason I'd be inclined to call is because I can see the river card was a king. But when your card falls on the river, why not raise?
-t
Old 08-19-2004, 02:43 PM

i think its fine. rainbow flop, no straight dangers, closing the action. anyone check-raise the river?
Old 08-19-2004, 02:50 PM

The turn call was a little close, but since you made it and I think you have to raise the river. If you aren't confident enough to raise when you hit a K or Q on the river then why are you calling the turn? Anyone else agree?