Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Phil Hellmuth\'s Book...

Echoing the consensus, the limit HE sucks, but it's not a bad way to spend 20 bucks if you think you'd like to dabble in a lot of different games and would like to learn a bit about PLO Hi, O8, Stud, Stud H/L, and Razz.

Just curious (since i don't play NLHE at the moment), how does everybody think that chapter is?
I replied to nothumb because this is best analysis for what's wrong with Hellmuth's LHE advice:

[ QUOTE ]
The entire book is written for mid and high stakes. I don't think Phil has played low stakes since his college days.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-19-2004, 10:48 AM

I think it made interesting reading, many poker books are more factual and informative but they also tend to be dry and dull.

As far as practical advice is concerned, the PL Omaha chapter really helped me. Its the only part of the book I have gone back to read a few times.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:48 PM

Mason gave all parts of the book but the limit holdem section a 6. I like the book.

The only thing wrong with the limit holdem advice is that it is a little aggressive.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:51 PM

I wasn't going to respond to this as others have already said how bad it is until some starting saying they liked it. So I throw my vote to the bad side, really bad.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:11 PM

It fills the same niche as Poker For Dummies. It's a general introduction to a bunch of different games. As a first book for someone interested in playing a bunch of differeng games only semi-seriously -- like in a home game -- it's not a bad book.

For any specific game, there are better books out there. Roy West for 7-stud, Tenner/Kreiger for Omaha/8, Lee Jones for hold 'em, etc.

But for a home game player who's looking for some basic competence in a range of popular games without doing too much work, I think either Hellmuth's book or Poker For Dummies would be good choices; and Hellmuth's book is more interesting.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing wrong with the limit holdem advice is that it is a little aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

SSHE is a 'little aggressive'.
PPLTP limit-HE advice is just plain goofy.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:09 AM

When I first started playing poker, I actually learned my Omaha from this book and had quite a bit of success with it.

I agree with the posters..it sucks for hold'em but the other sections are pretty good especially for new players.