Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Runner Runner Flush Draws

Last year, when I was still a horid player ( gettin there!), I lost a fair sized pot holding KK to a runner runner flush draw...the winner was holding 26s. I was in middle position and reraised an early raise which which was capped by the CO and then called by the button and of course myself and the original raiser. The table was tight and it seemed quite clear that the early position raiser and myself has big pairs. Flop cames rags and evereyone called my bet. Same when a blank hit on the turn (Second Heart). River brought the third rag heart. I again led out the betting and everyone called the buttons raise. UTG showed JJ , I had KK, CO QQ, and button 62hearts to take down the pot with his runner runner flush.
At that time I thought the guy made a -ev play but now Im not so sure.
The other day my aces got cracked on the river by a runner runner flush draw ...and again I see a low flush ( ithink this time it was 83 or 84) This time there were only three to see the flop (winner cold called the 3 bet from last position). Later that night I took a couple of pots down the same way. A raiser and reraiser and I cold called in late position with weak flush cards ( 92, and 85).

Did I pick up an expensive habit? Are these type of plays ever +EV? For the two I took down there were only single bets to call on the flop and turn. Do I ever have pot odds to call this type of play?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Runner Runner Flush Draws

Did I pick up an expensive habit?

Very. You will flop a backdoor flush draw so often that routinely taking one off trying to turn a flush draw will quickly leave you broke.

Do I ever have pot odds to call this type of play?

You need about 30:1 pot odds on the flop if you are sure that you will only have to pay one bet on the turn. Forget about it. Backdoor flush draws are only useful when they add value to a playable hand.

Lost Wages
Old 08-18-2004, 04:08 PM

Bad habit. Are you the guy at the table who says, "Well, my good cards aren't winning so I may as well play junk."?

Btw, your 4-eyed b**ch woman shot me on Cobra Island. I hope she rots.

<----------
Old 08-18-2004, 04:21 PM

Was there ever a character cooler then Storm Shadow? Ever?
Old 08-18-2004, 04:30 PM

Uh uh. Firefly was pretty cool too, but he can't hold a candle to Tommy.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:40 PM

Firefly. Fantastic.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:48 PM

The thing that was cool about Firefly was that you thought he was just a stupid throw-in character until you later learned that he and Scrap-Iron killed the Hard Master, that he escaped the sunken freighter, **and** that he was the leader of the Red Ninjas....

...I know way too much about GI Joe. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that was cool about Firefly was that you thought he was just a stupid throw-in character until you later learned that he and Scrap-Iron killed the Hard Master, that he escaped the sunken freighter, **and** that he was the leader of the Red Ninjas....

...I know way too much about GI Joe. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You remember more than I do. All I know is issues 16 and 17 I had pretty much ripped to shreads as a kid, looking over and over again for ANY clue about Snake Eyes identity, etc.

Issue 21 I think it was, the one with no talking, where Snake Eyes rescues Scarlett, was the best ever.

That's twice now that we've hijacked threads talking about G.I.Joe, maybe it needs a thread in Other Topics. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Oh, and Destro, ditto what the others said, if you possibly think this could be a +EV play, you have a lot of reading on these forums to do.