Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: David Sklansky\'s tournament experience?

A man and a woman would team up. I was just a kid then, and wasn't around, but I've heard there was a bit of controversy over this game. Who knows. I know that playing mixed doubles is what convinced Doyle that women could really play poker, and he was wrong about what he'd said about women players in the past.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 03:58 PM

Either you missed the sarcasm in his response or I read some into it. I think Andy is telling you not to do anything to improve your own game, as it will make his life easier.

Buy the book. I picked up approximately 3 helpful tips from it, but I already had a lot of experience and some success before reading it. You may get a lot more out of it than me.

One problem is that an update needs to be done for the modern game of the last couple years. Playing against internet players who play more for +EV, than for fear of going broke.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you thought hpfap was bad then why even worry about it? your obviously just trolling. you can look at all your posts and see a theme. we have all learned alot from these books and you arent going to be able to convince winning poker players that the material they learned to play with was bad. you can also see from your posts that you have no idea what you are talking about when you actually comment on hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because my opinion differs from yours does not mean I'm trolling. From reading your posts, I could say that you exhibit a "sheepish" mentality but I won't.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:18 PM

Default What you\'re really missing

is that David Sklansky is a theorist.

Sure he can play the game, and quite well I might add.

But there's a reason the top Political Science professors at every major university are not all President. Theoretically, they certainly know enough about politics to crush any politician in influencing public opinion. But in reality, there are many people that understand how and why things work without having the talent to do them.

David Sklansky can tell you the mathematically correct play every time - but when many of his opponents are math-able enough to reduce his edge, their ability to do things like "read people" and "have courage" and "go with gut feels" can put them over the top against him.

But for Joe Average poker player, these math concepts are absolutely necessary in the absence of the hundreds of thousands of hands pros have with which to sharpen their reads and strategies.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WSOP:

1st David Sklansky Draw High
1st David Sklansky Mixed Doubles

1st David Sklansky Omaha Limit

(The above does not include the times he came in 2nd-9th or "in the money," as these statistics weren't kept until recent years.)

5th Limit Omaha

42nd Main Event
---------------------
25th WPT Borgata NLHE

I am obviously missing a lot of tournaments. They are harder to research the further you go back into the past. I don't believe David plays many tournaments anymore, but obviously his skills lie in limit events.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Felicia. This is the exact type of info I was looking for.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:25 PM

Phil Helmuth has much better results than David... you might consider his book if you haven't read it already.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: hey dildo...

go away...
Old 08-18-2004, 04:49 PM

The fields were so small 20 years ago that a win doesn't mean nearly as much as it does today, just look at the 1st place prize money David won for Draw High in '82, $15k!

I'd take Scott Fischmann's (sp?) 2004 results over Sklansky's in a heartbeat.

Even if the original poster is trolling, it's a relevant question to ask. And saying DS is a theorist just doesn't cut it. If you understand these concepts, you should be able to apply them, especially in limit where people reading skills are of less value.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:57 PM

"Why not?"

Because the sarcasm of your post indicates that you've already made up your mind. Have you ready any of David's other writings/books? DId you get anything out of them?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:10 PM

Larry Brown and Magic Johnson were both NBA point guards and coaches. The better player does not make the better coach.