Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 06:24 AM

Default Preflop is fine

Limping is fine here. So is raising. And folding ain't bad either.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Played correctly?

I personally fold this preflop but I don't think any other action here would make someone a losing player. As for the flop, you raise hoping to get a Q to fold and clean up your T outs, maybe buy a free card on the turn, and you might be ahead. In a big pot these are good things, but this pot is just too damn small. My decision is to fold on the flop.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:33 AM

well played. id have played it exactly the same.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:22 AM

TJo and QJo are some of my more hated hands. They trap you, lead you on, then turn on you at the river. The situation has to be very favorable for me to play one of these hands. By favorable I mean a ton of folks limping in front of me. Or maybe 4-5 opponents limping, allowing me to complete the small blind. And of course you don't want any TAG's in the game when you play this type of hand.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:47 AM

Question: What do you do when that Q does not hit?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:37 AM

I think J-10o is a hand that most people on this board haven't come to a consensus on whether or not it performs better in a multi-way pot or with as few players as possible. Wasn't there a huge thread about this not too long ago?

Personally, I'd prefer to get at least one of the blinds out if I were to choose to play this hand. I really don't want to play this hand vs. 4 players. Therefore, it's raise or fold for me - probably fold as I don't particularly like J-10o. But it might depend some on what kind of player the limper was too.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:11 PM

I would play JTo from the button in an unraised pot most of the time, provided that I don't expect a raise from the blinds very often. Even so, seeing a flop with JTo from the button for one or two bets is not a bad deal in my opinion. Obviously this opinion isn't shared by everyone on this board.
I am not sold on the flop raise. Middle pair with a gutshot draw. None of your outs is sparkly clean. Q gives you second nuts, T gives you 2-pair but makes any Q a str8. The two J outs are probably good, provided that SB hasn't flopped a str8 already.
Raising is unlikely to get either SB or MP to fold. SB could always re-raise too. That might actually help you if it forces MP to fold, and cleans up some of your outs, but it also means you are likely behind. You might just be building the pot while you are behind with only a few good outs.
The flop raise could, however, buy you a free card if the turn misses you. So maybe the flop raise is not so bad.
Turn and river play is pretty standard.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:46 PM

Maybe the questions is not seen down there...what do you do if you are unimproved on the turn? on the river?

I'm not a huge fan of this move, but I definitely seem to be in the minortiy.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the questions is not seen down there...what do you do if you are unimproved on the turn? on the river?

I'm not a huge fan of this move, but I definitely seem to be in the minortiy.

[/ QUOTE ]

on the flop you have 2 guys who are putting in 2 bets to your 1(total)
on the turn-check call(unimproved)if there were several guys still in id prob raise it up and build a huge pot
on the river check fold(this is what i would do unimproved)
Old 08-18-2004, 01:28 PM

In Hero's case, theres three guys..the pot is $8! your 13-1..and you could be splitting with any other q who's already ahead...I think this is -EV over the long run, in fact I want to say, Hero got lucky with bad play... What am I missing?