Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 07:58 PM

Default Too aggressive with TP2K on board w/o draws?

Say I get something like AQo on the button, raise it to 4xBB, few limpers fold and I get one caller.

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or something similar.

Pot is ~4.50 or so. What's my plan of action here when checked to? Let's say my opponent is fairly loose and will call with middle pair or a gutshot for half the pot, but will fold to a pot sized bet. Is it -EV for me to play it slower than I would on a board with legitimate draws, giving him a chance to catch his gutshot or two pair on the turn without me knowing? Should I just take these pots down on the flop and be happy with them?

Also, what if I'm out of position? I generally don't raise AQo out of position but say I'm folded to in the CO and he calls me on the button. Then what's my play?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive with TP2K on board w/o draws?

I might try a weak lead in this situation for something like 1/2 the pot. If your opponent completely missed, he's probably going away. If he got a piece of the flop, a weak lead might entice him to reraise you. Then you double his rereaise and you've captured more value. If he comes back at you again, you might have to consider if he has an overpair or a set.