Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2004, 03:47 PM

Default 2 raises with the worst hand at the time

I don't play stud often, but I thought this was an interesting hand from a 75-150 game. I thought both my raises were right, even though it turns out I was behind when I raised both times (and thought there was a chance I was)

My hand: hole [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] upcard 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
The bring-in is two to my left. A loose player limps, everyone else folds. I complete the bet to 75. The player to my left, who I'll dub "Bob" has a T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] up, he makes it 150. Everyone else folds and I call. I put him on a split pair of T's with a lower probability of a bigger pocket pair in the hole.

4th street
Me: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Bob: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

he bets, I call (I thought about raising for a sec, but decided to wait til Fifth street to do so, this way it will be less obvious that I have made my flush if I get a third heart on the board - if I do raise on 5th or 6th with 3 hearts, it will look more like a four-flush semi-bluff raise, so I'm more likely to get called. I thought he was aggressive enough to keep betting, the only problem would be if I caught a A, K or Q, in which case, I'd have to lead without being all that happy about doing so)

5th street
Me: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Bob: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Now showing:
Me: [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Bob: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Bob bets. I had originally put him on T's or a big pocket pair. I raise, not afraid of either hand. If I'm behind, I got plenty of draws. He calls. I plan to check behind his check if I do not improve.

6th street:
Me: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Bob: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - pair of 7's showing.

Bob bets out. He's not afraid of the straight draw? well, I decide to raise. I figured if I get re-raised its clear he's a full house. But if not, I wanted to get two bets in their anyway (one on turn, one on river), so why not put it in now with an option to add another bet on the River if I catch. And a chance he actually folds without drawing. I ignore the chances that he started with three clubs because I think he would've folded on Fifth street to my raise if that was the case - so I'm not afraid of a four flush.

He calls.

River:
Me: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I filled up.
He checks, I bet, he calls....he mucks AA in the hole. Both times I raised I was behind, yet I still liked the raises. Thoughts please.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Re: 2 raises with the worst hand at the time

I'd generally raise on 4th. Your raises were good, you had a bunch of outs and a hand that's often ahaad otherwise.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:45 PM

yeah I'd say it looks pretty straightforward; because you are semibluffing with major outs, especially that two pair and four flush on 6th!..I can't believe he kept betting into your raises, and even if he had 3 bet you you were going to call, making those raises of yours that much more valuable...nice hand.. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2004, 08:17 PM

Also, checking behind on 6th should only happen if he makes a very unlikely open pair, you should be betting your hand for value even then, checking behind on 7th if you brick.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:59 PM

Default Raising on 4th street with the two hearts on my board

[ QUOTE ]
I'd generally raise on 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

The did not raise on 4th because I thought there was a good chance he would either re-raise me or bet out on 5th street if I did not make the third heart. That meant my raise on 4th would have backfired, as I'd be putting in more than I want to and still be drawing, as opposed to actually getting that free card. So I decided to wait til 5th and raise no matter what card I got (unless he made an open pair), to make it a bit more deceptive.

If I thought he was sure to play passively if I raised for a free card on 4th (meaning he would just call on 4th and check on 5th), then I would raise, but with this player I could not be sure of that.

With that said, I rarely play stud, and what my thoughts are carried over from Hold'em...maybe the general thought process / play of hand at these limits - is different in Stud versus Hold'em.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Raising on 4th street with the two hearts on my board

Your hand is a significant favorite over pocket Aces on fourth street. Get your money in there.