Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2004, 04:16 PM

Default Set over Set, did I get enough money out of him?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed)

Hero ($114.55)
MP1 ($21.85)
MP2 ($14.90)
CO ($47.25)
Button ($28.90)
SB ($53.35)
BB ($62.95)
UTG ($39.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls $0.50, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, MP2 calls $1, Button calls $1, SB folds, BB calls $1.

Turn: ($6.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls $4, BB calls $4.

River: ($18.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, Button folds, BB calls $20.

Final Pot: $58.75

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 4h 4s (three of a kind, fours).
Hero shows 7d 7s (three of a kind, sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins $58.75. </font>
Old 08-15-2004, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Set over Set, did I get enough money out of him?

You should perhaps be more concerned about the odds you gave the button to draw to his flush. With 5 to the flop there's probably a strong king and probably a flush (or straight) draw out there. I would be surprised if a $3 bet would win the pot there very often. If it does, then there's probably no other way that you could have won much off the hand anyway.

A bigger flop bet gives you a bigger pot on the turn. Another big bet now will not give drawing hands correct odds to call. And this being small stakes, half the time they will call you anyway.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:58 PM

I really don't like your one dollar bet on the flop...you might as well check it if you are going to bet a dollar and hope someone will bet into you so that you can reraise. Since there are two clubs on the flop you might get destroyed by a flush so in early position here I would probably bet this pot and hope that someone incorrectly calls their draw. Sets are monster hands but you are still giving implied odds to a flush on the turn especially if you cant fold your middle set. If it were me playing, you would have taken all my money every single time if I were the BB. I don't think I have ever folded a set with no possible straight or flush by the turn. I really can't fold sets..especially at a small stakes table.

Heres my question..
SO, does anyone ever get away from a low set????? I think there are too many top pairs, two pairs, and draws that call you for all your chips to ever make a lay down possible. I could possibly fold at a higher stakes table but that is it.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heres my question..
SO, does anyone ever get away from a low set????? I think there are too many top pairs, two pairs, and draws that call you for all your chips to ever make a lay down possible. I could possibly fold at a higher stakes table but that is it.

[/ QUOTE ]

erm, I don't [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, if there is a 4 flush or 4 to a straight on the board at the turn I could probably get away. In the hand in this example I would have lost more than the BB lost by check raising that flop/turn.