Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 12:24 PM

Default AQ hand

10/20 I have been playing for 3 hours and have not played a single hand yet. I am in the SB and see AQd, UTG limps, CO raises, button cold calls, I throw in 3 chips, BB calls and UTG calls. Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I check, UTG bets out, which he has been doing on almost eveyr flop. CO sighs looks at his cards and then calls, button folds and I check raise both players call. Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet out UTG calls, CO almost folds about 5 times before finally calling, I out him specifically on KK with no club.River 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I check, UTG thinks for a second and checks Co bets...what do you guys think?
Old 08-14-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: AQ hand

Bet the river.

This way you should raise.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:13 PM

Would UTG fold a small flush if you raise?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:22 PM

I think raising the river there is an absolutely terrible play against this guy, he already called on the turn seemingly knowing he was beat so he's definitely going to call if he has a flush. If he doesn't then your hand was good anyway.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:38 PM

Seems like a good time for a crying check-call on the river.

Garland
Old 08-14-2004, 08:48 PM

Utterly the worse play possible.

Firstly, i hate repeating this and i've said it so many times lately, on the river when first to act the most important thing is hands that check behind when you check but would call when you bet.

Secondly, it's very very unlikely you are beat by the CO here, hence your call isn't crying. Yet, UTG could have a hand like Ao,Jc - 6c, QoJs-Ts willing to call one bet here thinking there's a good chance it's good. Yet when you invest this one extra BB in the ~13bb pot these hands are getting folded. He needs to have those hands only ~7% of the time here for the raise to be correct.

Again, go back and read what ElDiablo said to you.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:49 AM

I see no reason not to bet this river.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:03 PM

hi the

call. that said, i'd like you to see how clear it is that you will be calling on the river. when you read or hear about betting out because you are going to call and betting is better than calling, you are being instructed about what to do in this very situation. that instruction does not apply to every calling situation. it does apply to many, however, but few are as clear cut as this example. call, but rather betout because you will call. you don't need to be grammatically correct here, you just need to betout.

call...er, betout!