Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 10:51 PM

Default cannot take this anymore

Ok, i've been playing only about a year now ,but i've read a bunch of books.To be more specific i've read the theory of poker, hold'em poker, hold'em poker for advanced players, hold'em excellence by lou krieger, and texas hold'em by ken warren. I also would like to say that not only have i read these books but since i've been unemployed for awhile i've studied these books almost to the point where i can recite certain parts. i obviously learned alot from these books as far as knowledge and theory go. i only have a bankroll to play 1/2 sometimes 2/4 on party and as we all know there is plenty of fish at these levels. i read alot of posts stating that if you can't beat the fish than you are one. maybe that's true but i need some help. i have a questions

1.how can you play a fish who will cold call 3 bets with 73o, 29o, etc... ?

even when you tighten up and only play premium hands you can never really know what they have or how they play. i honestly feel like folding whenever there is ANY possibility of a better hand. i know the game ,maybe not as good as some of you, but alot more than the fish on party. i feel lke i did the first time i ever played CONFUSED. there is so many good players here if anyone can please help me with my strategy adjustments. i basically play like i learned from the books (tight aggressive) but the best i can hope for is break even against fish. i try picking up on thier betting patterns but the seats change constantly. i am really at a lost so any help or direction who be apprieciated

i know this has been said before but i wanted to atleast vent my feelings so.......

thanx, chris
Old 08-14-2004, 10:54 PM

Default Re: cannot take this anymore

Read SSH
Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller.
I think that might help out a lot.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:02 PM

If you've read and understand those books then you know your post doesn't make sense. The only way that you can make money is when they make the kind of mistakes you're complaining about.

Are you just going through a stretch with a lot of bad beats or have you really not been winning for the past year? We've all had times when we've run very bad and it sucks but if you still aren't a winning player after all the work you've put into it then you either need to study much harder or stop playing.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:05 PM

Post some hands. If they're 1/2 hands, post them in micro.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:14 PM

Come find my games, I never coldcall 3 with any of that trash.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:19 PM

well to be honest i've had good days but i opened my account with $500+$175 in bonuses and after a year i have about $750 so to me that's break even. i do understand those books ,i read a couple of posts saying that sklansky's plays might not be for a low limit ton of fish game so i'm going to read that ed miller book.

i read on these threads alot but yes i will start posting my hands (i don't know why i haven't yet)

i also just bought poker tracker so this will help keep track of my hands ( another thing i can't believe i didn't get until now)

any way thanxs for the advice chris
Old 08-14-2004, 11:25 PM

Some of the more advanced plays in Slansky's book might not be worth it at low limits because your opponents aren't paying attention, but the fundamental thereom of poker is true no matter what limit you play at. I haven't finished Ed Miller's book but it should help you a lot.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:29 PM

You gotta post some hands. You will be surprised by some things that people point out that totally went over your head.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:24 AM

read ed millers book then try the .5-1 tables they are more passive than the 1-2 and 2-4 tables. then when your bankroll gets bigger go back up and try those tables again
Old 08-15-2004, 01:37 AM

by the way where can i get this book? barnes and noble?