Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Top Pair Decent Kicker? Or loose aggressive chasing?

Just a recent hand that I had trouble letting go... I need to know if I was chasing or not... thanks for all and any replies beforehand! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Ray Of Light is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Ray Of Light calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Ray Of Light raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

There is a possible flush/straight draw out there, and possibly someone also has top pair/top kicker. I have top pair poor kicker and there's only 5 SB in the pot... In hindsight, I believe that for a pot that small, I should simply let the hand go. Instead, I raised hoping to reduce the field. At this point, I believe that I have the best hand, especially since I didn't get re-raised back...

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Ray Of Light calls, BB calls.

This is where I feel I played poorly by not folding. UTG+1 bet/called the flop, then bet out when a useless turn card pops up... this is an obvious show of strength. I believed at this point that I was behind to a two pair at least... I have let it go from here, I don't have the implied odds to improve to two pair or trips...

River: (8 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Ray Of Light calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10 BB, between UTG+1 and Ray Of Light.</font>
Old 08-14-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Top Pair Decent Kicker? Or loose aggressive chasing?

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 bet/called the flop, then bet out when a useless turn card pops up... this is an obvious show of strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is usually a sign of weekness; they didn't like their hand enough to 3-bet the flop, but don't want to give a free card.

You also have too many outs to at least tie on the turn unless he has AK (unlikely) or 2-pair (also unlikely)
Old 08-14-2004, 01:35 PM

I would fold this preflop. I play K8s in LP with at least 4-5 others in the pot.
The flop is good. He could be betting a straight/flush draw or a pair and you need to isolate.
And as you said: when he continues to bet on the turn you are probably beaten. But if he's extremely loose aggressive I would call him down every time.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:39 PM

Would anyone else raise this turn? With the villain backing down to the flop raise, there aren't too many likely hands he could have that would beat Ray.

That said, I would fold to a 3bet on the turn.