Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 08:32 PM

Default Is Party NL / 25 easier than microlimit HE?

I've been doing pretty well at Party 0.5/1 and popped in a 25 / NL game because a friend was on (no there wasn't any colluding, he left after about 10-20 hands).

I only played about 100 hands so my same rate is too small to even make any real comparison, but there were people who went all-in semi-bluffs on middle or low pair, bluffing flushes.

Then there were a few loose / weak players who kept bleeding away their money calling small bets of $1-$3 and then folding on the turn / river.

I made more money at this table than 1200 hands at 4BB/100 for today! Is the competition this weak normal?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Is Party NL / 25 easier than microlimit HE?

Maybe you just had a good session? I don't play NL, but I once turned $5 into $90 at a NL25 table in 17 hands (I've also lost $25 in 4 hands).

Check out the Small Stakes PL & NL forum for some threads about winrates, if you want to compare your own stats.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:53 AM

I went back and played some more NL 25 and it's been a roller coaster ride (worst was when I went all-in with AA and an $80 stack after seeing a crap flop and a guy caught runner-runner 2 pair . . . with 87o) but I ended at 27BB/100 for 800 hands.

There's more variance in the profit / loss in general, but there's surprisingly a lot of weak players (but it could be because it's Friday night).
Old 08-14-2004, 04:40 AM

I think you said it correctly when you mention more variance. Since 25NL is a no limit game, you will have those time where you lose your buyin on a miraculous draw, or double up on an idiot hoping for that 2 outer. I played .5/1, 1/2, and 2/4 limit games before moving to NL. I found that my playing style was more suited for NL than limit. I'll still play limit, but prefer the 1/2 game over the .5/1 game.

As you play, you will notice that time of day AND day of the week will have a big impact on the quality of players in the games. Fridays and Saturdays seem to be full of weak players, with peaks in the late afternoon and evening. I guess that is why my variance is so high during those times. Good luck and keep on winning...