Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 10:03 AM

Default 1/2 set, deeper stacks.

I was going to post this on the other forum (should I have?) but thought it was more appropriate here. Party Poker $100, 6 max table, I have $280 in the sb, player to my left in bb has $450 (seems to play well, not paying people off, betting enough with winners, etc.), player to my right is the button with $150 and overcalls draws big time, even with implied odds.

Pre flop:
I am in the sb, and get dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . Button limps, I make it $6 (should this be more or just complete?), with the thoughts of bb will only call with 2 big cards or a pp, he will also re-raise me with QQ KK AA AK. I also feel that the button will call even if I made it $10 to go. Well, bb calls, and button calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
So, I should be ahead of everybody, unless somebody flopped the straight. I feel I am in good here as there is a nice chance somebody has TP, but I an worried about the big draws out. I will dump on the turn if a T or Q hit, but will probably stay in if just a club hits. Pot is $18, I bet $15, hoping to get raised by somebody. BB folds (ok, that’s good, he’s a good player, don’t need him hanging around, and he has me covered). Button calls.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I know this helps nobody. I bet out $35, pot is $46 after rake, and will get it all in with the button at this point. He folds.

At this point, the player in the bb types, “good flop bet, I folded 22”. This is NOT a post about, “how could I have gotten that guy to call to hit his underset”, but if he did call, and hit, I feel he would have gotten the money up there, probably all in by the river provided no scare card. That being the case, if he did stay in to the turn, and raised my $35 to a shove (and button would fold), can I call an all in here? I feel I can, but I am not used to having 2 people with stacks like that (especially out of position).

Also, any insight on my betting/thoughts would be appreciated. Feel free to tell me I am stupid.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:27 AM

Default Re: 1/2 set, deeper stacks.

standard throughout. you have to bet that flop for 3 reasons:
1. the king high
2. the flush draw
3. the straight draw

2 and 3 are easy: there are loads of cards that kill your action. 1 is bit less obvious. you have to figure that if you are going to get paid off, you will get paid off due to the king or the jack. no high cards can fall that would make him pay you off but not scare you for draw reasons at the same time. also, the turn bet is a must, as either you are aganist a draw, a hand that wont pay you off more anyways, or a hand that will pay you off till the river. you miss value for the first and third option, and if the second optoin holds true, your turn action doesnt matter much.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the response, do you think the size of my bets is correct? I often screw myself over trying to underbet a bit to show weakness, hoping for action from worse hands, only to find myself not being able to handle all the action I get!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:57 AM

No offense, but this should probably go in the small stakes forum. If he pushes on the turn, you have to expect you are beat or he has a monster draw. If he overbets the pot on the turn, you have a tough decision, and its going to be close. I would lean towards a call since I have outs and many good players would bluff a draw this way. But generally an overbet would indicate a vulnerable QT or possibly a higher set (JJ more likely than KK).

The $6 raise out of position is just terrible. I would not raise this at all. Medium pairs are very tough to play out of position against good opponents. If you are going to raise, raise at least to $10. There is not a single hand I would fold for an additional $4, and now I have a bigger pot to play for with position if I am the button.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:59 AM

yea your bet sizes seem good. you invite some 1 and 2 pairs to call from those types of players, but are charging the many draws out there.