Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 07:17 AM

Default Tells for a rookie

I am going to AC next weekend to play live poker for the first time. I have done pretty well online, but I am neverous about playing live. Are there any basic tells that you should watch for from other players and be careful not to do yourself?

I am a low limit player, reading the boards it sounds like the Trop, Taj and Borgata are the best places to play. Any others that you would reccomend? Which place has the most beatable games for a low limit player. I play 1-2 online, from reading the board the 2-4 games shouldn't be any tougher than 1-2 online, or should I try to play a little higer? I am going to bring about 1k for a two day trip.

Thank you in advance for any responses.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Tells for a rookie

In all likelyhood you will be amazed at how soft the 2/4 live games are. None of the other players will be picking up on tells, so don't worry about it.

If this is your first trip to a poker room concentrate on the following things instead of tells.
1) Playing your usual solid game
2) Remembering your hole cards
3) Acting in Turn
4) Keeping track of the size of the pot

Also, 1K is WAY TOO MUCH MONEY for 2/4. With that kind of a roll you could play 15/30 for the two days if you really wanted to (not that I'm recommending you play that high).

Finally, the rake will be pretty steep at the lowest limits, so if you're comfortable moving up to 3/6, 4/8, or 5/10 the rake won't gouge you as bad. In general the players won't be very tough at these limits, but not as crazy as 2/4.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:34 AM

Just try to concentrate on not looking like you've never played B&M before. Act in turn, remember to post your blinds, etc... If you do have a question though, don't be affraid to ask. Don't overthink the looking for tells aspect at low limits. As for yourself, try to act the same way regardless of what's going on. If you know you're going to fold in LP, don't have your cards in your hand and ready. If you know your going to raise in LP, don't be counting your chips out from the get-go. Basically, try to maintain a consistent demeanor.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:03 AM

Don't bother with tells except for one important one. Look left and see if the people to act after you are reaching for chips or ready to muck their hands. This is almost always worth the extra second you take when the action is to you. Aside from that, just concentrate on following betting patterns and counting the size of the pot.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:40 AM

Good points by the people above. Here are a few additions:

1.) Play the 3/6 if you're comfortable with the variance. The skill will be only somewhat higher than 2/4, but the rake is a little better if I recall correctly. And 3/6 live is still a little below 1/2 online, in terms of skill IMO. The 2/4 is in many cases fishier than the .50/1 on Party. Since you're not seeing nearly as many hands per hour to marginalize the bad beats/outdraws, this can be frustrating at times.

2.) See if people sigh or give a reaction when you raise the turn... they may even do something with their cards. This often, but not always, indicates what they'll likely do on 5th street. Much the same way, sfer's advice about looking to your left when its on you to act is something I try to do.

3.) Don't even worry one bit about other players' reads on you. 8 times out of 10, they won't have one, as they're too busy off in la-la gamboooler land.

4.) If you're re-raised by the old people at Borgata, it might be time to fold. These people just don't raise in all but the most unusual circumstances, in my experience.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:06 PM

I'm curious if you mean look left for these false tells or true tells. When I played NL at Mandalay Bay I was shocked at how these actions were true tells 100% of the time. People had their cards poised to fold way before their turn, and they invariably folded.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:13 PM

We're saying the same thing. Most players are sloppy in revealing their intent before it's their turn to act.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People had their cards poised to fold way before their turn, and they invariably folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

incredible, i'll write this down, laminate it, and then set it on the table while i play.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:43 PM

Yeah, Caro says that if someone is grabbing chips AND looking at you when its on you to act, they want you to check with the impression they'll bet. They want you out, because as Caro says, they are weak themselves and will not likely be able to stand a call or raise.

My experience is that some people do this, but most do not. Most have their action ready to go before its their turn -- if you're lucky, they'll act out of turn and give you free info.

Another suggestion: do not look at your hand until its on you PF, and DO NOT, under any circumstance, cap your cards with a chip before its on you to act. This is a bad tell.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:38 PM

Next weekend or this weeked? I'll probably be there the 20-22. Usally I reccomend the Taj low limit, but lately the wait has been as long as the Borgota, if I'm going to wait 1.5-2.0 hours for a table might as well be comfy, so go for the Borgota. If you play 1-2 online and are bringing 1k I would sit at the 6-12 game it's fairly soft the two times I've been there. But again whatever you're comfortable with.