Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Re: KK on the bubble

It is only incorrect to go allin with KK preflop against ONE opponent (which this is because you are closing the action) if he is very likely to have AA. You got your chips in as a 4:1 favorite and lost. If you think this was a bad decision, I encourage you to look at FossilMan's bust-out hand from the WCOOP main event; different circumstances, but again he went allin as a 4:1 favorite and lost.

As MLG would say, cards happen.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:09 PM

Very easy call. I dont like playing tourneys only to reach the money. I think the real target of tournament play is to get lucky and win big, since the normal variance is so high that if you wanted safe money you should rather pick a NL ring game.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:53 PM

Looks like a clear call to me. Given the blinds and his stack size it seems more likely that someone would choose to limp or make a small raise to get more value out of aces rather than push UTG. Given he doesn't have aces you are most likely a 4:1 favorite or at "worst" a 2.5:1 favorite vs. AKs. A very good position to double up, looks like. 9 came on the turn, oh well thats poker, calling was def. the right play, i can't see folding here as an option given the circumstances.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:56 PM

That sorry weak players try to limp into the money, and good players try to win the tournament. If he had AA, the ONLY hand that you do not want him to have, he probably would have raised less than all-in, looking for some callers.

You dominate any other hands that he could be holding, and have a great opportunity to double up and put yourself in good position to have a shot at winning the tournament.

Suckouts are part of poker, and if you are not ready to put all your chips in with the second best starting hand in the situation described, then you shouldnt be playing.

Rick Diesel
Old 08-12-2004, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you want 6th, or 1st? If you just want to get into the money... fold. No complications there.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree - i'd call here even in a satelite that paid 6 spots.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:42 PM

Unless I needed $150 to pay rent, I'm calling every time. In fact, I'm calling here w/ AA-QQ, AK...I think JJ is close, but I probably call there, too.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the numbers, Zoot. As I said, I was pretty sure it was the right move, but I wanted to be mathematically sure.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:32 PM

Listen child. I don't care about suck outs, I just wanted to know the math. Maybe you play to stroke your ego or to feel superior to the "sorry weak players trying to limp into the money", I play to win the most money possible. Sometimes that means scraping into the money with a small stack, other times it may mean passing up a semi +ev situation rather than risk all my chips, especially when I'm pretty sure I'm better than many of the players at my table.

So when you have nothing of value to add except your own moronic posturing, keep your mouth shut.