Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Common post-flop situation, what is the standard play??

I call here - and depending on the card turn I lead out with a big bet.

Any card that is either going to help you - or provide a scare or no help to the board is a good one to lead out on.

By Calling the 10 your saying you are still in the hand - either you have a piece of the flop or on a good draw.

If J,10,9,6,5,or 4 comes on the flop(almost 50% chance) - I push all in. He will think you have 2 pair, trips or the straight, and if he is a good player like you say will probably fold.

If an 8,7,3, or 2 comes - I place a bet of about half pot - if he has only overs he is probably folding, if he has a high pocket pair he might call - and you both see the river for free, or he re-raises and you probably have to make a crying call as your pot committed.

If a A,K,Q comes I'm probably in check/fold mode.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:16 AM

At this point in the tournament, and given that you checked first, I would probably fold this, even if you think he is stealing with overcards.

Generally if I hit top pair with medium kicker I like to bet out first, usually a pot sized bet. It generally takes down the pot if the hand is actually good. I just don't think the hand is strong enough to try to check raise. But since you checked: while UTG could be trying to steal with overcards, he could easily have an over pair or even A 10. (I find that a lot of people like to raise in semi-early position with A 10 suited, or heck even K 10 suited) If you just call now, you are setting yourself up for possible trouble if an overcard comes down. If you raise, you are putting a fair amount of your stack at risk, as the minimum raise would have to be another 350, and if he comes over the top on you you're looking at a very tough call unless you are postive he has over cards.

Or you can just lay it down now and be only out the 90 tournament chips you called preflop and wait for a better opportunity. As you said, you don't have position, and the hand, while possibly the best hand, isn't that great. I figure when you played J 10 suited you were looking for the straight or flush draw, and since you got neither you can muck it without remorse. You really didn't get what you were looking for, and the blinds are still small and its early you'll have better chances to win chips later.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:35 PM

Let me also add that with deeper stacks and a known tricky raiser (especially one who tends to suspect trickiness in others, or in myself specifically), I might try the check-raise line (which has the advantage of allowing me to get out for free if there is, say, a bet and a raise). Here though, a check-raise-fold is going to cost you ~1/2 your stack. And once again, if your check-raise is just called, well, ick.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And once again, if your check-raise is just called, well, ick.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Well said. Absolute truth.

Bob
Old 08-12-2004, 10:30 PM

In my opinion there is only 2 ways to play this at this particular stage in the tourney. At this stage you really don't know what you've got in this early position raiser so I absoultly HATE the check raise. What you are doing here is putting half your chips in the hope you hand is good and you are dangerously getting yourself committed to the pot. He smooth calls, what do you do? Where is your hand at? Personally, so early in the tourney i'm liable to check fold here. The price is simply too high to see if your ahead. For me, I have many reasons to play JTs and top pair is not one of them.

R-
Old 08-12-2004, 11:23 PM

The standard play is to fold. If you are playing 76s, the flop comes 7 high, and someone makes a pot sized bet, are you determined to win the pot? You play suited connectors looking for a big hand. You can play a big hand strongly. Top pair weak kicker you cannot play strongly (I do not agree that you had a good kicker).

You checked to see how the action developed. If there had been a small bet or it had been checked around, then you could try to take the pot.

The question of whether you are ahead at this point is immaterial. You cannot play sherrif.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:31 PM

I think you are likely DEAD here already...

J kicker no good, so many ways to be dead here, and I have lost with same scenario so many times...

Typically, AT, 2 pairs or trips here. very low occurance of bluffs, so JT is dominated with any of those, save the chips. They are too valuable this early! It could be a OESD, but risks vs reward? I'd fold it now 100% of the time in this scenario.

>Trainwreck<