Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 05:24 PM

Default All in w/ Kings

Hi,
I've been reading the posts here for the last two months. Since I have started, my game has improved dramatically. Thanks.

Here is a situation that occured Monday night on the party poker Super Weekday (150 buyin) NL tourney.

With 65 people remaining, I was already in the money. I was enjoying my supertight play, as my payoff was steadily increasing.

My stack was ~12000, slightly below average. I was raising with moderate to strong hands in late position, at a rate that was basically allowing me to maintain my stack and move up in the payoffs. Being that my PP bankroll was so low (I know, I shouldnt let it affect my play), I was content to simply rise in the standings.

Here's what happened, its been bothering me ever since, though maybe it shouldn't.

Blinds 500-1000. Sitting UTG+1, I pick up a sweet pair of red kings. I get ready to make a 3.5+ BB raise. But the UTG (stack of ~18000) comes out firing, making it 2400 to go. I pause for a second, then go all in. Normally, I'd make a big reraise and attempt to coerce people in with me. But at this point, I wanted no risks, so I pushed and hoped others would fold to my showing of strength (the table had been very tight). As soon as I pushed, the UTG announced "I'm going all in" in the chat box. This worried me (aces?!). Everyone folded back to the UTG, who began thinking for a minute (at which point I knew I had him beat). He flipped over AKo, spiked an ace on the turn, and sent me to bed. Strangely, I couldn't sleep.

Now I'm sure most of you will reassure me that my play was correct, but was there any other way about it that could have saved mt tournry life? Could I call then push if no ace hits? Could I reraise and see the flop if he decides to just call? Is there any other way to play this hand in that situation.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Re: All in w/ Kings

u got in ur money as a big favorite, played fine.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:33 PM

I would usually do what you did, which is just push then and there, especially at the point in the tournament. I really don't like playing too many games with premium PP and like as much money in the pot preflop. The way you played it was the most risky, but also probably the best way to win as much as possible with your Kings. You were already in the money, and you only get so many pocket Kings, go for broke and try to increase your stack as much as possible. You did the right thing and got unlucky, IMO.

Basically, upside of pushing- great chance of increasing your stack and making further into the money.

Downside- You leave a little earlier with your money back and little profit, and get some extra sleep.

No brainer.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:36 PM

It's great to work on your game, but there are more constructive areas. Stop calling two cold!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:36 PM

First of all, UTG saying that he was going to call your all-in should be reported. It is unethical and illegal. Not that I expect the mostly clueless Party support to do anything about it, but I would definitely send them an email about it.

As for the hand, well, I'm sure the bad beat police will let you know about it, but you *want* to play with KK v/ AK for all your chips, pretty much at any point in a tournament. Sure you could have tried the call/push, and you would have won a small-to-medium pot in all likely hood (unless of course your call encouraged another pair to call, who then flopped a set, and then you'd be posting a *different* bad beat story).

"Saving your tournament life", while it is a consideration when in the money, does not come close to "getting all your chips in as a clear favorite".

If you can get all your chips in with an opponent who is drawing to 3 outs, do it. There are times for the stop and go (calling with the intention of pushing on any flop), but that play is more appropriately reserved for a time when:

1. You will act first post flop.
2. You suspect a strong possiblity of overcards while you hold a medium pair (thus allowing the overcards to see only 3 cards, rather than all 5).

Congrats on the money finish (which is one more finish that *I* have in any of the Party "Super" tournaments in 8 or 9 tries), and keep getting all your chips in with KK v. AK and being happy to do it...
Old 08-11-2004, 05:44 PM

Thanks. You guys are right, and now I feel better. From now on, I'll post trickier situations. One more question, should I really report the guy who said "Im going all in to everyone?" I guess he might have scared off a lower PP, who in turn might have pushed and scared him off. Can I find his name through hand histories? Will his chat be in the history?

Thanks again. I now feel initiated into this great forum...
Old 08-11-2004, 06:07 PM

Absolutely report it. It's basically betting out of turn so that he can scare off anyone else interested in calling. He wants this pot heads up with you so he has a better chance of winning. Teach him a lesson (although with Party support its pretty hard to do).
Old 08-11-2004, 06:14 PM

Yeah, get your last hundred hands (best you can do at Party, unfortunately) before it is too late, if it isn't already.

I'm sure Party has a record, if you ask, and they feel like doing support that day.

But yes, that's a pretty objectionable thing to do, since he was clearly doing it to avoid playing 3 handed with AK.

Imagine this:
In or close to the money. Short stack in the blind has 3x the BB left after posting. Folded to button. Button has something decent bit marginal (say A2, K7, QT). He turns to the SB and asks "if I fold, will you put him all-in?", and then asks accordingly.

I mean, in a live game reacting physically like you are going to fold or going to call is one thing, but stating your intentions outright before your turn, *especially* when it is *clearly* to gain an advantage, is definitely a violation.

I'm surprised no one at the table called him on it (or maybe they did and you had already left when they bitched him out)...
Old 08-11-2004, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way you played it was the most risky,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the way he played it was the least risky. It is much more risky to play an ace high flop with this hand. (Risky in terms of making a huge mistake, pushing preflop will almost never result in a mistake)
Old 08-11-2004, 06:43 PM

I HATE TO DO THIS TO NEW POSTERS, BUT THE LAW IS INDISCRIMINATE:

------------------------------------------------------------

PEOPLE HAVE 1 OF 2 REACTIONS TO YOUR BAD BEAT STORY:

1. THEY DON’T CARE.

2. THEY ARE HAPPY.

PLEASE POST YOUR BAD BEAT STORIES AT www.RIVEREDAGAIN.com AND QUIT CLUTTERING UP MY FORUM.

-BAD BEAT POLICE [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

P.S. YOU OWE ME $1.