Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Edgar Martinez

[ QUOTE ]
Andre Dawson, Will Clark, Dale Murphy? Tim Raines? Harold Baines?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. See? Sorry, Edgar.*

* - and I was a big Will Clark fan, all the way back to college.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:18 PM

Raines, along with Bert Blyleven, are a couple of the most notable omissions from the HoF. Raines was a fantastic player for a long time. He's on the short list of the greatest lead off hitters in the past 50 years. He did everything you want out of the 1-hole. Great OBP, stole a boatload of bases, made great contact, and was just an altogether great fundamental player. Everyone nowadays just cares about the longball, that it's easy to forget about a player like Rock.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you automatically discount Ichiro's Japan numbers? His success in the US IMO validates alot of what he did in Japan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said anything about discounting his Japanese stats. There is no reason to--they are completely irrelevant to him getting into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:47 PM

yea you're right. I though it the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown was for all of baseball.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For a DH to get into the hall, he should have in the neighborhood of a .320 BA, 600+ homers, 1800+ rbi, and 3000+ hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having met you I find it hard to imagine that you've ever said anything dumber in your whole life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can neither confirm nor deny...

aw, screwit. He's said a lot of dumber stuff. A LOT. If he denies it, I'll have to go to the webcam...

Josh
Old 08-10-2004, 10:12 PM

Cecil Fielder?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:43 PM

are you serious?
Old 08-10-2004, 11:56 PM

I looked up his stats for fun and was surprised to see 2 stolen bases for his career and he was caught stealing 6 times.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Cecil Fielder\'s real claim to fame

He was the first (and may still be the only) member of the 0, 50, 100, 150 club.

(0 stolen bases, 50 HR, 100 RBIs, 150 strikeouts)
Old 08-13-2004, 02:50 AM

OK, I am going to weigh in. I was lurking for several days and thus dont think too many people will read this. Like many people in this thread, I am a die hard Mariner's fan. At all times. Even Chuck Cottier years. So my opinion will be at least perceived as biased and I did not want to respond for that reason. But there are things that I have not seen pointed out in this thread. Only 6 players in MLB history have at least 300 HRs, 500 doubles, 1,000 walks, career batting average above .300, and an OBS above .400. Any guesses who those six might be. . . ? Stan Musial, Rogers Hornsby, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, and Edgar. Pretty elite company. I know that almost any player can be put on a list of a "truly HOF worthy" players and appear comprable, so I am not naive enough to think that that single piece of evidence should be compelling enough to get him into the Hall. However, it made me want to ponder some more. His lifetime stats will say that he played 18 years. But that is not entirely acurate. He missed almost two years due to injury, and like him or not, there is no arguing that he was ALWAYS in shape. He also rode the bench off and on because of the Mariner's incessant love of Jim Pressley. If you campare Edgar's AT BATS/plate appearances to other 18 year players, one will find that his numbers are substantially less than that of the latter. True, his defense was never stellar, probably not even average. But here is the most intruiging thing that I dont think most people have taken into account: We "expert pundits" and yes, even the HOF voting commitee, spend so much time NOT voting in players that have good numbers but were not quality people. I.E. Pete Rose, Tony Perez, Shoeless Joe etc. But what we dont think about is the other side of that proverbial coin. What if we said, "well, you know Edgar has decent HOF numbers. . . . what kind of person was he. . . . ? Oh, he was a great person!!??? Well then, that sways my vote." In short, if his numbers are not worthy, than his character should be. If anyone reading this is not well informed about the type of person Edgar is, I would submit to you that he can put his name the Govenor's ballot the NIGHT BEFORE election and would win in a walk. He is great for Seattle, and always has been. He has been and still is great for baseball, and we as fans should be greatfull that he is what should be the embodiment of Major League Baseball, in fact all professional sports.

So, here is one "expert pundits" vote for Edgar.