Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Open raise from the button while in the BB with A 10.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really a big fan of putting 25% of my stack in w/ ATo out of position.
I guess T500 would gain you a little more preflop folding equity, so maybe you are right. Of course, you save T150 every time he reraises you and you have to drop, but that's not all that likely.
I don't know...i guess if Cferejohn, Fnurt, and MLG disagree with me I can start thinking about the extremely remote possibility that I'm wrong.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't think that he's going to lay down for such a small raise, and in fact I think it's probably correct for him to call unless he puts you on AA for some strange reason. You said yourself in the Fossilman thread that sometimes you need to push fairly small edges in tournaments, and this seems like an opportunity to do it...
Old 08-10-2004, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the point in raising here if he will not lay down A2s to the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see the point of playing a big put against a dominated hand? If I thought someone was raising with any two, or something close to that, from the button, I'd re-raise with AT here every time. Sure, sometimes he'll have a big hand, but if his range of opening hands is as big as all that, re-raising is going to be +EV here, methinks...
Old 08-10-2004, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to grow up a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was more than a little uncalled for. I'm looking for poker advice here. You must be having a bd day, because most of the time your posts and responses are quite good. I hope tommorow is a better day for you - Brad Penny's only going to miss one start.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was more than a little uncalled for. I'm looking for poker advice here. You must be having a bd day, because most of the time your posts and responses are quite good. I hope tommorow is a better day for you - Brad Penny's only going to miss one start.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are just looking for advice, but tilting like that and targeting someone because you *know* you are better than them and *deserve* to beat them is a little immature. Just play your hands, and try not to take it so personal.
Of course, maybe I'm just a little bent because Lo Duca is hitting like .850 w/ 9 homers for Florida. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2004, 03:34 PM

My point was I don't see a point in playing a big pot with a marginal hand (ATo) out of position against someone who could hold any two cards.

The EV versus the range of hands that this player could hold could be very high (as in this case), neutral (when he has his small pair holdings) or very low (when he holds pairs from TT and up) - i.e. you are not sure and may need to hit a flop.

My point - why play for 60% of your stack when at least half of the time you are dominated or are in a race situation if he has one of his small pair holdings??

If this same player will give you action with his lessor holdings when you have a bigger hand I don't think that this is a great play at this point in the torny given the size of the blinds and Sox's stack size.

I would most likely smooth call and look to hit the flop. If I miss and he move's in (as he would have with the nut flush draw) my hand hits the muck and I am still in the top 10 with a chance to win. If the flop is AT2 or ATx he goes broke and I move up with much less risk.

Good Luck
Old 08-10-2004, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are just looking for advice, but tilting like that and targeting someone because you *know* you are better than them and *deserve* to beat them is a little immature. Just play your hands, and try not to take it so personal.
Of course, maybe I'm just a little bent because Lo Duca is hitting like .850 w/ 9 homers for Florida. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think having that reaction immediately after getting knocked out is natural and quite human, and I think many if not most poker players have a similar pang of frustration and annoyance when they make a correct play that is strongly EV+ but have someone who made a signficantly EV- play but get lucky.

Most players recognize it fairly quickly and get over it, but I don't think there's anything immature about having the feeling linger abit and venting alittle here. I think soxfan clearly recognizes what's going on.

FYI, soxman, I just read Zen and the Art of Poker, which may help you alittle bit helped with that annoyance. Matt Dean (~14th in WSOP main event this year) had said it helped his game alot.

--Greg