Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Open raise from the button while in the BB with A 10.

Isn't 350 a little low? I always hated just doubling the origial raise, but I'm never quite sure.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:04 PM

500 sounds right to me. You certainly can't bet 2100 to win 250.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:20 PM

That feeling is generally what we call tilt, and not good. Make good decisions and you will end up taking his chips in the long run.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:27 PM

In my mind, it wasn't about this particular pot at all. I wanted this gut to know that I knew he was stealing, and he couldn't do it to me. Bad thought process? Should it ALWAYS be about "this particular pot?"
Old 08-10-2004, 12:34 PM

sending a message by reraising with a hand that figures to be best is fine, but do it by raising to 500.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:35 PM

There's some validity to what you're saying. If making a massive overbet on this hand scares him off from raising your BB in marginal situations down the road, that's worth some added EV. I don't think it's a huge number though. A loose player like that could get busted on the next hand, or one of you could get moved to another table, for that matter. So yes, you can take future hands into account, but don't overestimate their importance.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't 350 a little low? I always hated just doubling the origial raise, but I'm never quite sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so too, fnurt's line of 500 sounds good to me. Of course, it looks like this player is going to be calling that anyway, but maybe now you can either push him off or get away when the 3rd spade hits.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really a big fan of putting 25% of my stack in w/ ATo out of position.
I guess T500 would gain you a little more preflop folding equity, so maybe you are right. Of course, you save T150 every time he reraises you and you have to drop, but that's not all that likely.
I don't know...i guess if Cferejohn, Fnurt, and MLG disagree with me I can start thinking about the extremely remote possibility that I'm wrong.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2004, 02:26 PM

soxfan70,

I understand your urge to "educate" or exploit the fish and that it can be quite aggravating to have seemingly "lessor players" stealing your blinds from the button.

I guess the way that I look at this situation is - why am I playing in the torny? Is it to teach this guy a lesson or finish first? In my case its to win not to prove I'm better. You need to relinguish the pride in order to move forward.

In this specific situation, a 3x raise from this guy could mean anything. No hand, big hand or any two. I don't see the point in raising here if he will not lay down A2s to the raise. The reason is - your holding could be dominated as well. I think the raising move should be held for more observant players that can be made to believe they are behind and will lay it down. He just wants to see flops. Also, why put all of your chips in with this flop?? You have notta and want to push him off but he just picked up the nut flush draw and was never going to lay it down. You can't know that but I can assure you of two things:

1) This player would have continued to make this move throughout the torny until invariably he was caught by someone with a big hand. If that player is you - great - if not - take a cathartic inhale as his chips are carted off to someone else at the table and you stay in the top 10 of the torny. If you are keeping notes - you can now take advantage of your knowledge of this player and in a future torny surprise him with a really big hand. Since he has been freshly rewarded for bad play against you.

2) He did not finish high (unless his luck held) but he finished higher than you.

Good Luck
Old 08-10-2004, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you're right, but how do you fight the urge to "slap" an obviously inferior player? Or maybe I'm overestimiating my skills? i just get irritated when knuckleheads like this continually make plays that are -EV, and are rewarded for them. I feel like I need to show them that I'm better than they are. Is that OK, and I just went about it wrong, or is the feeling of having to do that wrong in itself?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to grow up a little.