Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Switch to Poker Stars short handed?

WIth the big jump from 1/2 to 5/10 at party poker, what do people think of playing at another site, such as stars, just to get some more experience. I would like to go to the 5/10 tables but I'm a little short money wise and, secondly, I'd like to get some more experience first against a little better players. The 1/2 players are just so bad that I find it really boring and pretty useless to play them to learn anything. I was thinking of giving 1/2 or 2/4 at Stars a go for a while. I have about 1100 there but haven't played any at the money tables so have no idea how there short handed tables are. Basically I'm most interested in getting better and learning right now but not losing a huge ammount to do it.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Switch to Poker Stars short handed?

paradise poker 3/6 5 max - beat this game and you will beat the party 5/10 6 max

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 08-09-2004, 07:51 AM

i'm playing 2-4 stars to get better. definately better then playing Party 1-2

blubster
Old 08-09-2004, 09:44 AM

I have been playing 1/2 at PP for the last 4 months and faced the same decision as you. I tried 5/10 for a little bit but felt uncomfortable with the swings. So, I signed up at Poker Stars and am starting to play 2/4 there and eventually 3/6. I would recommend the same for you. Have only played 500 hands or so it is still too early to compare the two. The biggest adjustment for me has been the software interface.

I also like the HU SnG at Poker Stars. I felt this was a weakness in my game and I can improve inexpensively at PS.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:02 AM

yep, paradise is good if u want competition... Ultimate Bet had some decent SH tables at 2/4, but that was nearly a year ago so I dont know
Old 08-09-2004, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WIth the big jump from 1/2 to 5/10 at party poker, what do people think of playing at another site, such as stars, just to get some more experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a very good idea. I have used Ultimate Bet as my second site. Their 2/4 and 3/6 6 tops make a very good training ground for the Party 5/10 shorts. The 3/6 is probably tougher than Party 5/10, but is definitely beatable with study and practice.

B.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:16 PM

You guys are giving Party's 5/10 way too much credit. The 2/4 Stars game during the day is tighter then Party 5/10, considering the table selection sucks during working hours. Party always has a table where 2 or 3 guys are clueless no matter what hours of the day. Stars the only soft tables are late at night.......
Old 08-09-2004, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are giving Party's 5/10 way too much credit. The 2/4 Stars game during the day is tighter then Party 5/10, considering the table selection sucks during working hours. ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, same with UB. I didn't mean to imply that the Party 5/10 is particularily tough ... just that finding short games to play in the limits between 1/2 and 5/10 is useful. The jump is too big at Party, and someone who builds a bankroll at the Party 1/2 shorts and jumps straight to 5/10 may be overwhelmed by the swings.

B.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, same with UB. I didn't mean to imply that the Party 5/10 is particularily tough ... just that finding short games to play in the limits between 1/2 and 5/10 is useful. The jump is too big at Party, and someone who builds a bankroll at the Party 1/2 shorts and jumps straight to 5/10 may be overwhelmed by the swings.

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen here and from playing a little bit at 5/10, the players don't really worry me but the swings look huge. I have a few hundred in bonus money sitting at the other poker rooms, good time to get it looks like. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:46 PM

once again do not play 6 max above 1/2 at stars. They rake $3 max when 6 players are dealt in. eff that.