Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Mixing up your play?

I am playing at the Stars .05/.10 cents table and some times I encounter situations where people fold to my PF raises instantly, or become afraid of my raises even though I would love to get some action on those hands.

As a result, I was thinking if anyone does mix up their play here? I know Doyle Brunson talks about it in his books, changing gears and stuff. Maybe limp with something you would normally raise PF or raise with something you would limp?

I mean, its profitable in a way as the opponents also become afraid of you raising them, like I had a guy check-calling my AK with AA all the way.

Any ideas, suggestions appreciated.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Mixing up your play?

Well, I'd ask yourself if table image really matters at the the micro level we're discussing here. Are you finding yourself playing more than 20 hands against the same players? Are these players observing your actions carefully and taking notes on your playing style? I'd argue that at the micro level, you should focus on playing pure and straight forward poker. Don't worry about mixing it up, bluffing, or anything fancy. Just play your game, don't make mistakes, and go from there.

But thats just me.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Mixing up your play?

You have to think about what sort of things people are likely to notice about you. Bear in mind that most people aren't focusing on the other players, so it comes down to a few obvious characteristics. If you've shown down several big hands and dragged pots in an orbit or two, you're more likely to face a situation like the one you describe. Seems like a good time to start start playing more mediocre hands the same way. Eventually people will get tired of you running over them and start cold-calling or re-raising. Especially if you end up showing down a poor hand when someone finally forces a showdown. Just be careful, as people will tend to play only their best hands against you if you're getting a lot of respect... that is, until the "he can't possible have another good hand" sets in.

On the other side of things, when you've been consistently pushing big cards and whiffing it's almost impossible for a semi-bluff to add much value to your hand. People will actively take shots at you on the flop and turn regardless, especially when low cards fall. "I know this guy... he always raises and then bets/raises with nothing. Who does he think he's kidding?"

Mostly, you live between these worlds, where you might get some slight notice for how few hands you're playing, but that's about it. It takes a lot to get the attention of people who are generally only interested in playing their own hands -- which usually necessitates a big deviation from solid play over a significant period of time. This is clearly not profitable in most situations. People probably won't notice if you limp with a big hand, because a lot of them do that anyway, and won't therefore find anything wrong with it. And how many of them will be thinking about what you did pre-flop after you've shown down your cards, anyway? Enough to make much difference? Likely not.

In most situations, straight-forward play is your best option.