Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: With all of the grief that Phil Hellmuth gets.....

[ QUOTE ]

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug."
-Rick James

[/ QUOTE ]

"James was convicted in 1993 of assaulting two women. The first attack occurred in 1991 when he restrained and burned a young woman with a hot pipe during a cocaine binge at his house in West Hollywood. He was free on bail when the second assault occurred in 1992 in James' hotel room."

Source USA Today

Hot pipe???? Sounds like Rick James wasn't on cocaine, he was on crack. That's a whole different league of drugs. Probably just called it cocaine because of cracks social stigma.

P.S. I know they are related, but simply treating a molecule to go from acidic to basic can, and in this case does, significantly change it's biochemical properties.

Drugs are bad ummmmkaayyy.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps we'll look back at his whining and poor sportsmanship and see it as great poker psychology.

[/ QUOTE ]

some of us already do.

[/ QUOTE ]

The psychology ends when you get busted. It's one thing to talk trash during a tournament, but his whining from the rail shows a definite lack of class. That's not psychological warfare, that's being childish and a sore loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what I think about Phil Hellmuth -- he's either a sore loser, or an absolute genius. I have to imagine that his image as a whiny jerk affects the play around him in his favor, making people mini-tilt just to try and take a chunk out of him.

If he dropped his persona as the high-emotion player when he gets beat, then the jig is up. His post-game whining only reinforces the image for future tourneys that he's a trash-talking, whiny, tilt-happy player that you want to take a shot at. I'd imagine that if you're NOT an emotional player, you could do more damage with this kind of image.

But I'm just not sure I think Hellmuth is THAT deceptive and tricky. I think he may just be a whiner.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps we'll look back at his whining and poor sportsmanship and see it as great poker psychology.

[/ QUOTE ]

some of us already do.

[/ QUOTE ]

The psychology ends when you get busted. It's one thing to talk trash during a tournament, but his whining from the rail shows a definite lack of class. That's not psychological warfare, that's being childish and a sore loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so at all. It makes people hate him, which definitely affects how they'll play against him the next tourney.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:00 PM

i think anyone who can't be a decent sport about losing....especially when they've played enough that they should know what a bad-beat looks like...is just an [censored]....regardless of supposed talent.
phil acts like he's never seen a bad-beat virtually EVERY time he takes one.
and i do believe it affects his own play negatively.

anyone who throws cards at the dealer or another player is an [censored] too.
i don't believe for a second that temper-tantrums like these are 'designed' to illicit tilt from their competitors. they are just cry-babies and that's all there is to it.

if phil or stu played internet ring or tourneys for such high stakes i can see them yelling the same things at their monitor on crappy bad-beats and throwing their chair across the room ala bobby knight (and maybe typing whiny stuff in the chat-box too).
Old 08-08-2004, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, it's tough to be the best [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, he's clearly not THE BEST right now. I can give you a list of 10 players that are better right now.

Phil is definitely one of the best of all time, but to dismiss my argument with "It's tough to be the best" clearly means you are conceeding to my point. He may be the best (or one of) but he's also the most classless player of possibly all time.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

some of us already do.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so at all. It makes people hate him, which definitely affects how they'll play against him the next tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

That MAY, MAY be true. But, I really doubt that's what his MO is when he gets drawn out on by Gavin Griffin while trying to win a record 10th bracelet and then bellyaches about it for ten minutes.

In fact, if you saw the footage, he was whining to his sister about it and Gavin couldn't even hear those comments, so you're theory is disproven.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:11 PM

yeah, big leak phil has. getting his money in with the best of it consistently.

The big leak he has is folding with the best of it consistently.

Hellmuth isn't Ungar. Apples and Oranges.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:30 PM

Well, lets see how big those leaks are this evening. Looks like he's in the WCOOP main event..assuming the rumor that #1_Lucky_One = Phil Hellmuth is correct.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think anyone who can't be a decent sport about losing....especially when they've played enough that they should know what a bad-beat looks like...is just an [censored]....regardless of supposed talent.
phil acts like he's never seen a bad-beat virtually EVERY time he takes one.
and i do believe it affects his own play negatively.

anyone who throws cards at the dealer or another player is an [censored] too.
i don't believe for a second that temper-tantrums like these are 'designed' to illicit tilt from their competitors. they are just cry-babies and that's all there is to it.

if phil or stu played internet ring or tourneys for such high stakes i can see them yelling the same things at their monitor on crappy bad-beats and throwing their chair across the room ala bobby knight (and maybe typing whiny stuff in the chat-box too).

[/ QUOTE ]

well thats the thing...theres no way for us to know for sure whether Stu and Phil did all that on purpose or were/are just bad sports. But the thing is that they produce tremendous results. Therefore, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt due to their results, which are proabably the two greatest of all time.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, it's tough to be the best [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, he's clearly not THE BEST right now. I can give you a list of 10 players that are better right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You give no reasoning to support your argument. I think he is the best right now.