Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Results.

Great read on the call. I'd agree that most players wouldn't dare check the river with a monster when the turn got checked through. Regarding the call vs. all in, I think any raise here is certainly -EV. I think we all agree that more often than not, against a legitimate opponent that you will be beat here. You're getting the right pot odds to call the bet, but you need to win 50% of the time for the raise to be profitable if you know he'll call either way. Call is the best move here. Ni han.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Got greedy and put myself in a tough spot.

good read and gutsy call, i must say - i would be afraid that this guy had called on another essentialy bellybuster - ie: 34. Not all too likely, considering his second check on the river after you've shown weakness.. and he'd really have to put you as a thinking player if he expected a call out of such a substantial raise with a superior hand. i've made many of these calls over the days, but i think they have shown slightly -EV for me.. except maybe for future situations in which players might be less inclined to try the same thing except with a superior hand (or i would think so anyways - probably deeming me a calling station)
Old 08-06-2004, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Got greedy and put myself in a tough spot.

I must admit, when I first realized that an all-in would be a great gutsy move, I didn't realize that he only had $15 more to push. Obviously, any ace is probably going to call the last $15.

The one thing I do like about pushing the last $15 is that it would make the sevens fold, so you don't need to show you're hand. Making a weak river lead, then re-raising all in, that's a strong move, and people are going to be scared to put a move on you after that.