Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 PM

Default Dedicated Poker Laptop

Does anyone have a laptop that can display 4 Party tables with no overlap on the actual laptop screen, not external? What models can do this? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Dedicated Poker Laptop

ATM, i have a Toshiba Satellite which i'm using only for poker. It can fit 4 poker screens with extra space, yet it sucks, the fan design is awful so it's overheating a lot.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:10 AM

Yes. Dell Inspiron 8600 with the wide screen is 1900x1200, meaning you can fit 4 with enough room for a web browser on the side. party x party x party x party x 2+2 in the browser. Life is good.

Nick
Old 08-06-2004, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Dell Inspiron 8600 with the wide screen is 1900x1200, meaning you can fit 4 with enough room for a web browser on the side. party x party x party x party x 2+2 in the browser. Life is good.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. The 8500 does the same. Perfect laptop for poker. I play at work all the time.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:53 AM

go to comp-usa (maybe also at office-max) and get one of those laptop cooler thingees.

someone recommended them to me in one of david ross's thread (maybe week 47 or 49 or so).
they're great. it's a little pad you put under the laptop. plug it in to a usb port and little, quiet fans keep it much cooler.

3M makes one. i got the cheapo version by a company called Bytec or Avtec or something.
costs about $15-$30.

anyone who sits on the couch and puts their laptop on a pillow or something while playing should have one of these. the heat that builds up in the computer is not healthy at all for the inside parts.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:07 AM

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2004, 11:08 AM

I'm looking at a used Dell Inspiron 8000 or 8100 for just this purpose. Does anyone use, or have experience with either model?

I don't feel I need any more on the performance end since I've been playing just fine with a P2 333MHz Gateway solo - so this seems it should be just fine.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ATM, i have a Toshiba Satellite which i'm using only for poker. It can fit 4 poker screens with extra space, yet it sucks, the fan design is awful so it's overheating a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Be careful!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/11...s_with_laptop/
Old 08-06-2004, 01:20 PM

thanks boss! i just bought one off ebay for like $15 , looks like something ive needed for a long time.
my 17" HP laptop gets red hot... [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2004, 02:02 PM

I'm using a widescreen HP Pavilion zd7000 laptop, but it might be a little overkill if you're getting something solely for poker. If you want a "desktop replacement" and don't mind a very heavy laptop, it's quite nice.

The display is a 17" WVA WSXGA+ BrightView with wide-viewing angle display, so it fits four games nicely (although I only play 2). Because I do some gaming, I got the GeForce Go5700 GPU with 8X AGP and 128MB dedicated video memory. If you're not really into specs, just remember "dedicated video memory". If you're just playing poker and hitting the web, no big deal, but if you're going to do any gaming, it's nice to have.

If you plan to use it at your desk at all, the "notebook expansion base" is nice. It's just a glorified docking station, but it puts the laptop at an angle so the screen sits up at eye level, which is much better for your back and shoulders than having it flat on your desktop and looking down on the screen. Also good for back and shoulders, since it's a very heavy laptop, is the backpack, which is nicely padded with lots of pockets.

I don't know how it compares to the widescreen Dells, because I haven't had a chance to check one out, but I'm definitely enjoying the Pavilion.

Martin