Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Were they right to be so pissed?

Like others have said, you increased your chance of winning the pot, and it's not very important to you that the short stack busts out right here, so you made the right play.

In response to the whining from the rest of the table, I'd give one of my two standard responses and leave it at that:

1. "I'm a very weak player; you should take advantage of me." (This one almost always gets the response, "yeah, I will.")

2. "I don't think you understand this game as well as you ought to." (This one usually makes people crazy.)

Regards,
Jer
Old 08-05-2004, 05:48 PM

Sure they were right to be mad – you made a good play that hurt their chances of doing better.

You are likely to have the best hand, and pushing UTG out gives you a better chance to win the hand and increase your stack by 1200 (or 25%) with best position for final 3.

If you lose the hand, you still have T4100 and 1st/3rd chip players want to avoid being the Bubble boy – a great steal place to be in. Once you lost this, I’d have raised the next hand with any two

--Greg
Old 08-05-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Re: look at it this way

if you had your hand and your opponent folded TT because he thought you had a J would you be posting this? button and Sb will likly be out soon anyway so if you can get some chips and take a good chip lead all the better.

Pat
Old 08-05-2004, 06:50 PM

It wasn't right for him to get upset, but it was stupid for you to bet 800 into a pot of 0.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:01 PM

And give UTG a chance to draw out on him? No, he'd rather the SB have the chips than UTG.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. "I'm a very weak player; you should take advantage of me." (This one almost always gets the response, "yeah, I will.")

2. "I don't think you understand this game as well as you ought to." (This one usually makes people crazy.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I like "LOL CRY MORE N00B!"
Old 08-05-2004, 09:11 PM

If UTG is a good observant player, it's simply bad play. UTG will call with anything better than your hand and any strong draw. After the flop, the side pot has T1600 chips and UTG has the position to outplay you if he's on a draw. He'll only throw away complete junk, but with his position and the board J9x, there aren't many hands that justifies his call preflop. I don't know what UTG holds, but if I am at that position and didn't raise preflop(any low pair or Ax hand are definitely raising hand in this situation), about half the time I hold a monster and half the time holds two cards over 9, with that kind of board, you are for sure screwed, be ready to see a 2000 bet on turn or river 95% of the time. If you do not bet, UTG will not bet with a draw, he'll likely check down river unless he hit.

Since UTG folded, he's either a rock that folds QT or in this situation or a loose player that would call with K3 preflop UTG. Against these type of players, good bet.

btw. whoever is pissed at you be sure to bet into him next time.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:35 PM

Default What hand would you hold UTG?

I didn't read the other replies when I posted mine. It surprised me how many people think that it's a good play without any info on UTG. I'd be interested to know what hand do you all call preflop UTG in that situation?
Old 08-06-2004, 03:10 AM

Exactly. As a big stack, you're often better off with 4 in than 3, assuming you can take advantage of the bubble to steal chips. If you happened to win the hand in question - fine. You have the chip lead with 3 left. UTG's sounds like the type to avoid a big confrontation until BB's gone, so you'll be able to steal post-bubble too. If you lose and SB stays in, he still doesn't have a respectable stack and you may still be able to push UTG around because he's afraid of bubbling.

The only person here who should be upset is BB, because you cost him some chance of making the money. So, you should ask yourself if you should feel bad costing another player money if it means you'll do better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]