Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Tricky AK Hand!! OMG HELP!

This is a very tricky hand!!!! Preflop raiser is BBuddy, the CO is okay and quite agressive. Not happy with how I played this hand, unsure of every street.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (9 handed)

MP2 ($954.50)
MP3 ($747)
CO ($1415)
Hero ($1357)
SB ($1441.25)
BB ($520.75)
UTG ($1071)
UTG+1 ($427)
MP1 ($1039)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to $50</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls $50, Hero calls $50, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($165) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $123</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $300</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls $177.

Turn: ($765) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: ($765) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">CO bets $500</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $1265
Old 08-05-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Tricky AK Hand!! OMG HELP!

to get the discussion started, i raise more on the flop, check the turn, call the river if a club doesnt drop, and fold it if one does.

that river card + this situation sucks. there is a huge incentive for him to bluff the river with any 2 cards, but the problem is that most hands that call your flop bet will either want to showdown, or beat you. even a complete bluff would likely have tried to take it on the flop or the turn, not the river
Old 08-05-2004, 04:20 PM

wow. no way I check the turn there. I likely call the flop.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-05-2004, 04:23 PM

why no PF raise?? sure seems to make this hand harder on you.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:23 PM

If I raise this flop it's going to be to $400, if he calls I'm going into check fold mode.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:26 PM

Turnipmonster, could you elaborate? You're willing to get your whole stack in here with AK? Not too big a favorite against a lot of strong drawing hands that can be out there, and a huge dog to a number of big made hands that could very likely be out there. This flop really isn't that good for AK.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:28 PM

Against the tricky agressive player that everyone says BBuddy is I'd want to take control of the hand, so I would definitely reraise preflop with this hand and the button. Ok so maybe he's got a real hand and reraises you, or maybe the cutoff is playing a big pair cleverly thinking he is going to get heads up with an agressive player with his hand nicely disguised. But most of the time you are going to win this here, or get heads up with BBuddy. What I'd want to avoid is flopping top pair top kicker against an agressive player who could have any of a wide range of hands.

Unfortunatley that is the situation you have found yourself in, albeit against the CO rather than the initial raiser.

Why did you choose to make such a relatively small raise on the flop? I think it puts you in such a bad situation. Partly because I think the CO can have called preflop with such a large range of hands given that he thought he was likely to have position post flop, the stacks are deep, and he knows he may well not be looking down the barrell of a serious hand. But also because you are never going to know where you are in this coup until the CO turns his hand over at the end. All you have done is made the pot bigger, so you are guessing for more money?

So what to do? I genuinely have no idea! I can see good and bad things in folding, flat calling, and putting in a proper raise. I'd probably take a card off and see waht happens.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:29 PM

I like your preflop play.

On the flop I would've raised more and pushed on the turn. If you're not willing to follow through on the turn why give action on the flop?

As I tried to illustrate with the hand I posted between you and I, I think you fear being beaten way too often.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:35 PM

I'm having trouble understanding why you made such a small raise on the flop. Did you think had him beat or not? Your making it way too easy to take this hand away from you. The way you played this hand I call the river bet.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:35 PM

turnip, given that he raised the flop, you would bet the turn? i could see the flop calling and turn bet line as a possibiilty, but why do you combine a flop raise with a turn bet?