Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Dumb WPT question.

THey do give some commentary during the actual event. Since they don't know the hole cards, they just report basically the action that is happening. Later on they sit in a studio and add in the extra commentary based on what the hole cards are. That's when they get the pithy one-liners, etc. Sometimes you can tell because the audio is spliced together. Occasionally, you can tell the difference between which comments are made live and which ones later.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
THey do give some commentary during the actual event. Since they don't know the hole cards, they just report basically the action that is happening. Later on they sit in a studio and add in the extra commentary based on what the hole cards are. That's when they get the pithy one-liners, etc. Sometimes you can tell because the audio is spliced together. Occasionally, you can tell the difference between which comments are made live and which ones later.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you can often hear the different pitch levels between commentary, and it is blatantly obvious when the speech is live vs. post production. they could do a much better job with that.

and anyone watching can be fairly certain that its not all live commentary when they show the announcers booth only a few yards away. the place is dead silent during play, and they would most certainly hear VVP or sexton yelling out info during the hands... a glass wall or something would make it a bit more believable.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of journalistic integrity and ethics, I heard that Fox Sports televise or are soon to televise poker. Anyone know any more details? Can't find anything on their website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only every week for most of the summer. Sunday nights at 9pm Central is the first showing of each episode. They started last Thanksgiving with "Showdown at the Sands". Currently they're running "Poker at the Plaza". They also did a live event from Turning Stone (4 hour show, 5 min delay). On the 15th they're starting a "Superstars" show.

They do a GREAT job IMHO. Much, much better than anybody else. The Plaza shows are great. They are basically showing 2 hours of heads up action and showing virtually every hand, even the quick folds. The Turning Stone show was great too. Basically, FSN has great commentary (Howard Lederer if he's out of the tourney, which unfortunately he always seems to be) and great production value.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:35 PM

I thought the Showdown at the Sands was just a long commercial for Best Damn Sports Show with some poker sprinkled in.....I do like Fox Sports' more recent shows, even though Chris Rose is a tool
Old 08-05-2004, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ESPN isn't going to go out of their way to show you that they AREN'T there though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we know Norm *is* actually there, because he always interviews the winners at the end of each show. It's entirely possible that Lon has never even set foot in LV, though.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only every week for most of the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case my worst fears have been confirmed: my Fox Sports is regional (Caribbean/South America) and most of the coverage is football (as in soccer) and paid ads. This also stuffs up my ESPN WSOP viewing as they frequently block the signal for no apparent reason. So its Mike and Vince for me for the forseeable future! Thanks for the reply.