Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 08:26 AM

Default Anyone else push here, or am i out of my mind?

nearly 2 hours into a live freeroll. nearly 100 people to start, about 60 remaining, and my table is down to 7. 10K starting chip count. blinds increased to 500/1K two hands ago, and i'm in the BB with 8800. looking around the tables, it seems i'm below avg. stack size. 2 limpers, and I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. First limper is somewhat tight/passive, but has shown decent hands. Second limper is very inexperienced. I push, hoping to pick up the pot, but not really afraid of a call. Push or no push...that is the question.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Anyone else push here, or am i out of my mind?

Yep, I'm pushing here as well. What was the outcome?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:42 AM

i'll post the results (only b/c my office blocks all poker websites so i couldn't post them till much later tonight) and hope that it does not reduce the number of responses.

Fist Limper shows A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Second Limper shows K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

the final board reads, JTQ8A. so as limper one and myself make two pair on the river, mr. inexperienced makes his str8. oh well, i guess i'll go back again tonight and hope for better results.

thanks for the responses.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:53 AM

Badger Poker series, I'm guessing? Since this sounds quite, quite familiar and I see you're from Milwaukee.

These things are tough, with the ante structure and a load of inexperienced players that will call with anything. It's tough to get any read, at all. I've played in 5 or 6 of the Madison events and I usually make it through the first half of the field, but once we hit 50 then I'm short stacked, blinds go up, and I'll get called by anything. Three times I've been WAY ahead and just got sucked out on, twice I was ahead in a coin flip, and once I was behind in a coinflip.

Good luck if you go back. I'm going to try to hit the last few Madison events over the rest of this month.

- UW
Old 08-05-2004, 09:27 AM

I like the move. Especially if as Madtown says, it is the Badger Poker series.
Their is a lot of strange play in it with inexperienced players.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:58 PM

ya, the badger poker event. but in milwaukee, we're using the correct blind structure, although they escalate waaaaaaaaayyyyyy too quickly.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:08 PM

I'm heading to one here in Madison. Well, I guess that depends. Event starts at 7, it's 6 now, and I'm in a $30 MTT at Party, pays 70, down to 99 at a break. So we'll see how this goes. Obviously not going to go to a freeroll instead of playing this out... :-p

- UW
Old 08-05-2004, 07:10 PM

Automatic push. Tight/passive limper makes it closer, as he could be limping a decent pair or AK, but you probably have the best hand, you're getting pretty short stacked, and this is likely to be your best chance to pick up some chips. I can live with being called by a pair here, it's a coinflip with significant overlay.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:42 PM

I think it's a good move. there is almost no chance you're dominated, but you could get called by a medium pair. You have a chance to add 25% to your stack, so I like the move.