Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 08:18 PM

Default can you make your own chips?

I was just wondering how difficult and costly the necesary supplies would be to make your own clay or ceramic chips. Do you need more than the average ceramics enthusiast would have? Would it be possible to make them using equipment in most fine arts departments?

Obviously it would be cheaper to buy them than make them if you just want 1 set, but if there are benefits other than super customization and a more personal value to the chips then it may be worth it if it isn't ridiculously expensive.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Re: can you make your own chips?

You must be a soccer fan.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:11 AM

I think its interesting. I would like to hear some thoughts on the idea. Ive thought about it myself but never looked into it.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:15 AM

I would go to a site tha makes them. Look at the price of the set you want, and cut it in half. Where you gonna get a Kiln to fire the ceramics though?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:17 AM

I'm pretty good friends with my old high school art teacher(we go to church together). I'll bet she would let me fire them up.
Still, how would one go about making the chips though.
Paint the basic design onto the clay?
Create a sticker and glue the hell out of it onto the fired chip?
While this is an entertaining idea, I doubt I'll ever try it. I know nothing about the production of chips, obviously. It would be a cool experiment though.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:54 AM

FORZA SEVILLA!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 02:58 AM

I looked on EBAY for a kiln at it was about 300 bucks. Not sure if that's good enough because I don't know how what kind of temperature will work. There are also some higher end ones (well at least more expensive).

Any potters know anything about how to actually make the chips if you have a kiln? I guess you would just stamp out a pattern and go with it.

Also anybody know of a ceramics 2+2? Short of going to the pottery museum in Stoke On Trent I have no experience to speak of in ceramics but for some reason it occurred to me that making chips might be fun.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I looked on EBAY for a kiln at it was about 300 bucks. Not sure if that's good enough because I don't know how what kind of temperature will work. There are also some higher end ones (well at least more expensive).

Any potters know anything about how to actually make the chips if you have a kiln? I guess you would just stamp out a pattern and go with it.

Also anybody know of a ceramics 2+2? Short of going to the pottery museum in Stoke On Trent I have no experience to speak of in ceramics but for some reason it occurred to me that making chips might be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I am not the foremost figure in the field, I have done some research. My website ( http://www.mynameismatt.com/cg ) tries to explain some of the process.

You can not make poker chips by firing clay in a kiln. Modern chips are made by a very complex process (comparatively) which is described on my page. You can make small cermaic discs, but do not plan on getting any detail or longevity out of them.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:42 PM

I would drop two grand (2K) on equipment/renting if it would allow me to make binions style chips. i.e. 12+ edgespots, 10-11 grams, dayglo colors, 1" inlay. Nobody makes em like that, and I have no idea how much a press costs.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:28 PM

Excellent post. I just finished my table last week and during our game, someone asked me if I was going to make my own chips as well. I never thought about it, but the idea intrigued me.

How does chipco make ther chips? Print a design and form the chips in a press?