Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Loose play in 1-4-8-8

I played 1-4-8-8 in Biloxi this weekend. This was the first time I had played this structure. I noticed that my typical tight aggressive play was not paying off and that the players who were building the biggest stacks played loose. The game was weak, in that there was not much pre-flop raising going on. These loose players would call the $2 bb with any connector and almost any suited cards, presumably because they could see the flop for only $2.

For the first several hours, my stack diminshed playing tight aggressive. When I did get cards, I got no action. Once I caught on and loosened up, I started winning.

Is this a common phenomonon in 1-4-8-8? Is loose play in this type of game recommended?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Loose play in 1-4-8-8

I've never played any Limit game other than the standard x-2x type, and am not well versed in Poker Theory, but I would imagine that the higher limits at the later streets means higher implied odds. Pulling numbers out of thin air, if the average pot size is 20 big blinds (in a standard game), in 1-4-8-8 structure it might be as much as 50 bbs. (Don't know if these numbers are remotely close, but it would also depend on the the looseness of the game of course.)

Because the pot is so much bigger relative to the big blind, I would think you could get a way with limping in with long shots like 56os and 95s etc. because when you eventually hit the flop hard, the large pot will make up for all those limps you threw away.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:53 PM

bhp:

There was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago that had some good info. You might try and search for it.

The basic gist is that implied odds are huge b/c it is so cheap to limp in...therefore you can see more flops with speculative hands. Also, it is often correct to limp and then fold to a raise behind you.

Raising preflop is critical with your better hands so that you crush other's implied odds.

--Rico
Old 08-04-2004, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll look for the thread.