Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 08:17 AM

Default Rebuys strategy

I would like input on what folks think is an appropriate strategy in rebuy tourneys. My usual approach is to take one rebuy before play begins. I would rather recruit an additional division of soldiers before the battle rather than draft replacements after most of my men have been decimated. If this isn't enough to get me through the rebuy period in good shape I usually just try to get by with the short stack and be thankful for all the rebuyers who are willing to keep feeding the table more chips. At addon time I will take the addon if I am somewhere mid-pack but decline if I'm shortstack. Also, I'm aware of the philosophy that additional chips are of less value to a big stack, but if I am big stack at addon time, I usually get caught up in the stampede to addon in an effort to maintain my position. How do others approach this situation?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Rebuys strategy

I play in 5-8 rebuy tournies a week, and here is my strategy:

I always rebuy in the rebuy period whenever able.

I almost always take the add on. The only exception is when I am one of the chip leaders and the add on will increase my stack size by less than 10%.

My whole philosophy in these tournaments is to get a good stack pre add on if I can, but not to risk too much because I can hit the post rebuy period with enough chips to play just from rebuys and adding on. Post rebuy, we are in the part of the tournament I thrive in, where the blinds are getting large compared to the stack size but there is still room to manoever.

What I love about the rebuy tournaments I play in is that I can always make it to this stage, which is where the real tournament begins IMO even in non rebuys.