Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 11:30 AM

Default Gambol!

Short hand here, first some background; we have been playing shorthanded here for a while. Here are the stack sizes:

Hero: $990
Obnoxious Pro: $1400
Shortstack: $85
Certified Maniac $650

Blinds are $2 $4

The obnoxious pro is a quite tight player, really hates being drawn out on and is usually unwilling to get involved in big hands. I definitely have an edge on this guy in the long term, but its hard to get his whole stack. The shortstack is a really bad player, who for some reason in this session has decided to play super tight (opposite of normal). Any time he raises hes had
J J or better. Now to the interesting part, the maniac is a very odd individual. Will play for long periods of time averagely, loose passive basically, but then at the flick of a switch, turn into a 100% maniac. When in this mode he will go all in sometimes preflop, sometimes on the flop. He will do this for a hand or two and then go back to normal. The maniac has just doubled up from someone (who left) with 36s against TT, all in preflop.

Im on the BB with A9. The pro limps in UTG, shortstack makes a raise to $20 and the Maniac goes all in for $850. Now I know Im behind the shortstack, but Im almost certainly miles ahead of the maniac. My thinking was, A9 is a much better than average hand, so Ive got to be getting great odds. Im not too worried about the pro, Im pretty sure he would fold AK or worse in this situation, and he would of raised with AA or KK.

Is calling insane here? If I lose it hurts, but I can buy in again. If I wait I might not get another opportunity .
Old 08-03-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Gambol!

problem with calling is you're not sure you're ahead, you're way behind if you're behind, and you're often not so far ahead when you are ahead. so i'd wait for a better day.

matt
Old 08-03-2004, 03:07 PM

You are playing way above my level, but A9 does not seem like the hand to fight this guy with.

What if he has something like KT or QJ. do you really want to risk all of that money on a coinflip against this dude.

His chips are going to either you or the pro... but if you gambooool now.. the pro might have an opportunity for the maniacs chips and your chips
Old 08-03-2004, 03:38 PM

Fold, even if this might be a slight edge for you, you have to wait for a better hand to take a stand with. Muck your cards and get his money later.

Justin A
Old 08-03-2004, 10:52 PM

Well I understand why you would fold, I thought this was an interesting proposition though, like taking a coin flip 1k if you win, 700$ if you lose. The results matter even less than normal though here but I thought it was pretty amusing. Shortstack has JJ, Maniac has J2. Flop is of course 22x, turn, x river 2.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:45 AM

I disagree with everyone who has posted so far (even Matt, which makes me think I'm doing something wrong). By the description given, maniac could have any two. Hero has A9. I'll take A9, hot-and-cold, versus any two cards every time. Why wouldn't you? This isn't a tournament. If variance is not a concern, this is a call.

If he wins, buy back in to cover him.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:53 AM

bear nothing wrong with gambling it up a bit if you want to. just that while he ended up having j2, as described his likely holdings were stronger then two random cards, and you don't know that obnoxio is going to fold. you have an edge likely, but it's on average narrower than it first appears. no need to take on such variance when there are easy high-prob plays at hand.

matt
Old 08-04-2004, 10:01 AM

with shortstack raising ahead of you, id fold it up in 2 seconds if he had a slightly bigger stack. the shortstack knows the guy is a maniac also, and he knows that you know hes a maniac.

as it is, with the shortstack having so little, id still probably fold. the determining factor for me is that the manic has already shown some crap cards after pushing in the past, even a maniac knows that he should push a good hand when he gets it.