Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Re: NLHE Tournaments in Milwaukee

thanks for the insight. any other insight you might have about these particular tournaments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:14 AM

Having the ante system from beginning to end in a tournament setup removes a large part of the actual strategy involved in Texas Hold'em and introduces the crap-shoot factor. There's a reason that nearly every major tournament out there starts off with the normal blind structure and then introduces antes later in the tournament. Last night with the blind structure used things ended up moving just as fast as they did the first night; up until the final table when Jason stopped moving the blinds a couple times due to players request. Tonights games should stick to the schedule with the added antes being introduced about 30 minutes quicker to make the big guns move faster and help the bar clear out before 12:30. If people in Madison are happy with the ante system that's great, but the majority of the people thus far in Milwaukee seem to prefer the normal blind system.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:32 AM

Oh trust me, everyone of us in Madison would prefer a true tournament system with normal blind progression - but that simply isn't feasible in the allotted time frame and the number of people. Everyone of Madison's events has about a minimum of 90 people and some of the bars see no less then 110.

Thats the biggest hold back, alotted time. Start at 7 and majority of people want to be out of there by 1030, 11 at the latest. With blinds you'd still have 50% of the people around by that time.I did not play when it first started out in Madison, but the more I play and the more the same people play, it has slid into the "I respect that raise and will not call with my A9o" - of course some people are scrubs and will anyway, free play and all. The same people (for the most part) consistently make the top 25. Every so often someone consistently good makes a bad play, but thats the nature of Free Play and the nature of actual Hold 'Em, sometimes you have to try and make a play with your 45o and hope no one holds cards heh.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:15 AM

did anyone else go? and if so, how'd you do?
Old 08-05-2004, 09:04 AM

I've gone to about 5 in Madison, and usually bust sometime between the first and second break. I think I may be playing a bit too tight, but I dunno. Every time I've busted, it's been to an inferior hand that caught cards, so I feel pretty good about my all-in play. I tried loosening up last time to play fewer offsuit hands (like AT, KT, AJ) and play more suited connectors (T9, 98, 87 if I'm in position) and didn't do any better.

The antes suck, but blinds would make it go forever.

- UW
Old 08-05-2004, 02:03 PM

I have done the first 3. Came in 7th on Tuesday night. Went out early on Monday (tried to bluff on a 8 8 3 flop and raised the bet, only to have him call me down with A high- not the best play), and ended middle of the pack on Wednesday.
The blind structure has worked much better than the antes. Play did not slow down. The game must have ended around 11:30 or so on Tuesday. It may have gone longer because the final table was extremely tight.
Overall, there are a lot of inexperienced players who will go all in on draws or will call down with third pair. They will raise preflop with an ace or face. Playing a tight aggressive game works well, but expect the suckout. Some of the players are extremely aggressive. I like them because they are guaranteed to go on tilt with a beat.