Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 03:24 PM

Default 8 handed Stud

I am not a stud player by any means so I assume that I am just out of the loop and this will be an easily answered question. I am mainly a hold 'em and NL player but I wanted to try some stud because I have heard that good players have the biggest advantage in this form of poker. So I sat down at a party .50/1. stud hi and noticed 8 seats, and quickly did the math and thought how do you play 8 players at a stud table. If 8 people call their hands to the river that would need a deck of 56 cards. I can't see how party would just assume that not everyone will see their last card. I just thought this was weird and my brother could not answer it for me. Just curious.

Thanks
Grant
Old 08-03-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: 8 handed Stud

community card is dealt to fill out hands
Old 08-03-2004, 04:05 PM

A community card is dealt if everyone stays to the river. At least this is how it works in B&M cardrooms. As for Party my guess is that they'd do the same, although I don't know. I've actually only seen it happen once in live play years ago at the Taj. Against decent opponents it will be a very rare occasion that all players will see the river. But at .50-1.00 on party I guess you could see it.
Also, a quick piece of advice. If you want to learn to play proper stud, that limit and that ante stucture are terrible to do so. Isnt the ante something like .25 in that .50-1.00 game? With an ante that high you'll be forced to play some pretty ugly hands to the river if you dont want to be slaughtered. If you want to play stud on party $3-$6 (structured identically to a $15-$30 game) or higher is the way to go.

Mike Emery
Old 08-03-2004, 06:14 PM

Thanks guys, makes sense. I could definitely see that happeneing at party on more than one occasion. I didn't really feel too comfortable or confident in the game either, no one folded for the .25 I didnt know what the hell to do and I definitely do not have enough confidence to jump up into 3-6 yet. I'll get a book or something, just not feeling the stud like omaha or hold em.

Grant
Old 08-03-2004, 07:45 PM

Well, gosh, if you're playing $75/150, no, you're not going to see many community cards. Happens all the time at the lower limits, though. When Canterbury Park first opened, stud games were more prevalent than they are now, and there were community cards all the time, even occasionally in the $15/30 game, which was the biggest game in the room at the time. Of course, Canterbury is still the only room in the world where the tourists play better than the locals.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll get a book or something

[/ QUOTE ]
I recommend Roy West 7 Card Stud for Medium and Lower Limits. And learning to play at a low-ante game (Poker Stars) or no-ante at Paradise .50/1.00 game.